Sticking to a diet is hard enough when you’re cooking for yourself, let alone at a restaurant or when you’re hosting a dinner party.
But now Harley Street nutritionist Rhiannon Lambert has revealed her very easy hacks for social occasions that will help you stick to your diet no matter where you are eating.
And by following her simple rules, you won’t need to feel guilty about straying from your weight loss goals. Here are a few tips for making healthier choices – but if you’re out for a pizza, then just go ahead and enjoy it!
1. Include plenty of vegetables or salad in your meal
2. Avoid adding extra salt
3. Consider going for grilled or steamed options rather than fried or roasted dishes
4. Swap chips for extra vegetables or salad
5. Ask for dressings and sauces to be served on the side
6. Ask for less oil (they may not be using healthy oils in the kitchen)
7. Reduce your intake of deep-fried food (e.g. dumplings, prawn toast or battered items)
8. Limit over-sweetened dishes like sweet and sour dishes
9. Consider opting for veg-based sauces rather than creamy sauces
10. Opt for wholegrain over white bread
11. Limit condiments like ketchup, satay sauce, mayonnaise or BBQ sauce as these contain extra sugars, salts and fats
12. Ask your guests to bring their own drinks – soft drinks, wine and beer – so you can stick to your choices.
13. Make lots of healthy side dishes and one big main dish; you can then dish your own portion onto your plate and mix the ratio of food. If you make something like a big pastry pie you can have however much you want with extra vegetables.
14. Always have two desserts; Usually prepare a healthy fruit option (which still tastes fab) and a healthy twist on an indulgent dessert. Often no one even bats an eyelid and they tend to go for the fruit too!
15. Create an atmosphere: put the music on, light some candles and remember this is social time. It’s not just about the food; take time to enjoy the company you are with.