Hundreds of revellers flooded a seaside town to cover themselves in mud during Brazil’s Carnival celebrations. The celebration is known as ‘Bloco da Lama’, which translates from the Portuguese as ‘Mud Street Party.’Legend has it the ‘Bloco’ was born in 1986 after local teens hiking in a nearby mangrove forest smeared themselves with the dense mud to discourage mosquitoes and then wandered through Paraty.
Scroll Down For The Video
Every year the party has grown until revelers were eventually banned from parading into the town after shopkeepers complained their walls were being stained with the hard-to-remove dirt. Paraty is a small town on Brazil’s Costa Verde, between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. Here are some pictures of Brazil’s Carnival celebrations.
1. Hundreds of revellers flooded the small seaside town to cover themselves in mud during Brazil’s Carnival celebrations.
2. Paraty is a small town on Brazil’s Costa Verde, between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. In contrast, carnival-goers in Rio yesterday showed off their extravagant costumes and opulent head-dresses as thousands danced in the streets
3. A couple covered in mud kiss during the traditional ‘Bloco da Lama’ as they celebrated on the first day of the five-day carnival
4. Women wade in a pool of mud during the traditional “Bloco da Lama” or “Mud Street” carnival party, in Paraty, Brazil, on Saturday
5. Chilean tourists Michele Yoyo and her husband Rodrigo Yoyo, share a kiss as they wade in a mud puddle during the celebrations
6. Legend has it the “bloco” was born in 1986 after local teens hiking in a nearby mangrove forest smeared themselves with mud to discourage mosquitoes and then wandered through Party
7. The party grew year after year, but revelers eventually were banned from parading in the colonial downtown after shopkeepers complained pristine white walls were stained with the hard-to-remove mud
8. Instead, revellers must now drink and dance on the beach while getting down and dirty to Brazilian funk and house music
Watch Mud Street Party Video