When we see friends in toxic relationships it’s hard to understand why they stay in such obviously unhealthy situations. However, it’s important to note that many people are blind to the reality of their situations or holding onto the hope that their partner will eventually change.
These 18 signs you’re in a toxic relationship will shows if you involved with someone who isn’t good for you. Rethink your relationship and find a healthy way out.
1. You think everyone else is wrong and you are the only one who’s right.
2. You are unable to consider another point of view other than your own. I.e. your way is the only “right” way. If you don’t like the way they do things, do it yourself.
3. You do not know how to act, and communicate like an adult, instead you react like a spoiled child.
4. You make unreasonable demands and don’t return the favor or you are rude about it.
5. You blame other people for your own screw ups. (This seems to be very common in the US.)
6. You have a bad temper and your SO is usually on the receiving end, even though they didn’t really do anything wrong.
7. You’re withholding some intimacy because God and expecting it all to be fine.
8. You respond to said withholding by taking what is withheld by main force.
9. You feel no love for your partner, only security.
10. You hold your partner’s interests and fascinations in contempt.
11. You rarely if ever observe your partner with anything other than despair in his or her visage.
12. You feel drained instead of invigorated
Think about how your relationship makes you feel. The person you’re with should have a positive impact on your mood.
13. Your self-worth takes a dive
Healthy relationships should spur us on to be our best selves, not cause us to fade into the background.
14. He’s always negative
It’s one thing to have on off day, but if your partner is constantly complaining about every little thing and always sees the negative in situations, Take a step back and asking yourself whether this is something you want to deal with in the long term.
15. He’s jealous of your other relationships
No one who has your best interests at heart would want you to push your loved ones away.
16. His moods are unpredictable and extreme
Though a hot and cold personality may keep you on your toes, never knowing what kind of mood your partner is going to be in when he walks through the door is not a good sign. This flip-flopping can go from loving and caring to anger and rage in an instant.
17. He wants to control your money and time
A healthy partnership means the person you’re with supports your autonomy and decision-making. While he might not always agree with how you spend your time and money, he’s willing to share concerns and preferences.
18. Your gut tells you something isn’t quite right
For better or for worse, we all have a sixth sense or a gut feeling that creeps in when something doesn’t feel right. This feeling is your body’s way of telling you something might be wrong. Listen to your sixth sense, no matter how well things might be currently going, she advises, and look closely at what could be causing these feelings.