Published on January 2nd, 2020
If you are reading this article, you are probably thinking of buying some Kurtis, but are unsure of where to begin.
Many women on the heavier side struggle to find something that works for them and make them look good. There is a solution though because there are plenty of great options you can actually get – as long as you know where to look and how to search for them.
In this article, we look at some of the important factors to keep in mind when you are purchasing a Kurti for yourself, especially if you are on the heavier side.
What Is Kurtis?
This is a term referring to blouses, jackets, and waistcoats, whose hem sits above the waist. However, they do not have slits on their sides and are different from a choli because they do not leave the waist exposed.
It is important to know that not all Kurtis are created equal – some fit certain body types more than others. You no longer have to limit yourself to a few limited choices when you are a plus-size woman
there are various plus size Kurtis options available online.
1. Make Sure To Keep Your Body Shape In Consideration When Choosing A Kurti
Not all things will work for everyone because everyone has a different body type. Even if you are plus size and are in the same room or space as other plus size women, the basic nature of your body shapes are different from each other – therefore, it is important to keep it in mind when choosing a Kurti.
There Are Several Types Of Body Shapes, Which Are:
- Pear-Shaped Women – Also referred to as a triangle body shape, it makes you smaller on top, and heavy in your bottom area. They also have a well-defined waist with large hips, but the bust is smaller than the bottom area. The best feature to accentuate with your Kurti is your waist, similar to an hourglass body type.
- Hourglass-Shaped Body – If you have this type of body shape, you are among the few that have numerous body features to flaunt. Unfortunately, many women with this body type tend to shy away from clothes that flatter their bodies, even though this should not be the case. The hourglass shaped women have curvy hips, defined waist, very shapely legs, and a nicely defined bust. Since your body is nicely defined in multiple areas and you do not need to hide much, you can wear almost anything you want and still look good.
- Rectangle-Shaped Body Type – This is also referred to as the ‘straight’ body type, and the ladies that have it will have an equal lower and upper body. Their bust is also average or small in size, flat bottoms, slender legs, and an undefined waistline.
- Inverted Triangle Body Type – Women with an inverted triangle body shape have an opposite problem to pear-shaped women: their upper body is bigger than their lower body, as they have a broader top with broader shoulders, and a narrow bottom. They also have a large bust compared to their hips, so the lower body will need the most attention.
2. Your Best Friends Are Long Cut Kurtis
These will work for any plus size lady due to their length and cut, which is long and high respectively. They also flatter you because their hemline is long enough to reach your calves – and in addition, you can even get some that reach the floor. Due to this, a large part of your body is covered, but not in an unflattering way.
For instance, the Kurti designs that use a straight cut design and great for plus size women who have an inverted triangle body type.
3. Avoid Wearing Kurtis With Short Sleeves
Since you have a heavier body, chances are high that your arms are quite broad. It makes it tricky to wear shorter sleeves since they expose your arms quite extensively and make you feel uncomfortable – in fact, their length draws unwanted attention to your arms, which are already a problem area.
However, you do not need to fret. The good news is that you can wear Kurtis that uses a full-length sleeve design or a three-quarter length sleeve approach. This will also allow you to create your own style in a way that suits you.
There are some things you need to note though. One is to avoid net sleeves because their translucent design will draw a lot of attention to your arms and spoil your look. The second is that you can wear Kurtis and roll up the sleeves, which will add a sense of dapper looks to your outfit.
4. The Best Kurti Picks Are The Anarkali Fits
If you want to experience the joys of comfort styling, Anarkali suits are probably your best option, especially the designer ones. They are quite good because they are quite versatile in fitting, and can suit every body type as well.
Aside from masking the problems of your lower body, they also cover the upper body perfectly. Their fit is so good, you will likely find yourself falling in love with every Anarkali Kurti you purchase and wear. Their versatility also makes them great choices for a party, casual and office wear, so you no longer need to worry too much about changing your wear every time.
5. Choose Your Bottom Wear Wisely
It is rather easy to ignore your bottom wear and its significance when all you want is the Kurta to fit you well – but you cannot ignore the bottom wear. This is quite significant in this case if you want your look to be complete, and Kurtis alone cannot make you look taller and slimmer.
If you are wearing Kurtis that have a straight cut, you can wear a pair of palazzo pants rather than leggings, and wear the leggings if you opt for a Kurta that covers your entire body. However, avoid jeans as much as possible, because they will likely leave you feeling uncomfortable most of the time.
There are many considerations to keep in mind when getting a Kurta as a plus-size woman, but it is not as hard as it may seem. As long as you select them wisely, you will find something that works well for you.