January 1st, 2019 | Updated on January 18th, 2019
Steam cleaning is one of the best ways to thoroughly clean your home and achieve its fresh feeling again. Also, if you don’t like the idea of using harsh chemicals that can be overpowering, a steam mop is your best option. It uses hot air to swipe away dirt, grime, and germs while keeping your surfaces, tiles, and floors clean.
How Does A Steam Mop Works?
Steam mops are upright machines that come with a water tank built into them. This produces hot streams of dry steam which then penetrates the cleaner’s mop head for deep cleaning your floors.
There are a lot of steam mop models in the market today with various added features for a better cleaning experience. There are also those that you can detach and utilize as a handheld cleaning device and comes with several attachments such as upholstery tools, scrubbing brushes, and squeegees. This means that you will be able to clean your sofa, bathroom tiles, and windows.
Make sure to read independent expert reviews online to ensure that you will end up with the best steam mop that can cater to all the needs of your home and family.
Reasons Why You Need To Use A Steam Cleaner For Your Space
There are plenty of reasons to use steam when cleaning your space, and it also comes with a lot of advantages. It has been a very popular cleaning tool for a lot of people that are chemically sensitive, has asthma, and other allergies. If you have not included it yet in your home cleaning routine, here are some reasons why you should:
- Cleans without using harmful chemicals. Most people feel light-headed and nauseous when smelling detergents and bleach. Also, no matter how much you mask their odor, it’ll linger in the air for a few hours. Steam cleaners only use heat and water to clean and sanitize your space. It cuts down the need to use toxic chemicals, making it safe for you, your family, pets, and the environment.
- Your home will be cleaned, sanitized, and deodorized. This cleaning equipment can kill about 99.9% of dust mites, bacteria, and germs. Dust mites in your sofas, beds, and your kid’s soft toys can cause asthma and allergy, while salmonella and other microorganisms lurking around your home can make your family ill. Because steam cleaners use high temperature, its steam alone can eradicate mold, germs, and bacteria without using chemicals.
- Economical. Disinfectants, floor polishers, detergents, tile blaster, and glass sparklers are expensive. A steam mop can replace all of these, and you won’t even need a pair of rubber gloves when using it.
- Efficient cleaning for less time and effort. You don’t need to scrub your tiles and floors until your arms ache to make it sparkly and shiny. Since steam mops do not leave cloudy residues on surfaces, you’ll get superb results and a finish free of streaks.
- A versatile tool. You can use a steam cleaner on almost all kinds of soft or hard surface, from your ceiling to your floor.
Different Types of Steam Cleaners
Steam cleaners have two types available on the market today:
- Cool steam cleaner. This type is either handheld or upright and produces the steam without the need to boil the water. Its steam also contains more water.
- Dry steam cleaner. You can also use this type as handheld or upright. Steam is produced by boiling the water. Its steam is quite hot but has less water.
Compared to cool steam cleaners, dry steam cleaners are more efficient. The handheld type is more powerful, and its water tank requires frequent refills. However, most models are cordless and less costly than upright dry steam cleaners.
Things To Consider When Steam Cleaning
No matter what model you purchase, there are some things you need to take into consideration before using a steam mop.
- Prepare your floor. Before steaming, it is crucial to vacuum or sweep your floors first. While there are handy dual steam mop models that can sweep and steam small areas and messes, it is still best to vacuum larger areas to get rid of more dirt for a cleaner steaming.
- A maintenance cleaning equipment. Steam mops are not ideal for heavily soiled floors since hot steam will just smear dirt all over your tiles and floors. It is best used for light cleaning and on regularly maintained floors.
- Mop pads. Purchasing extra mop pads will ensure you will not smear dirt around when steaming. You can change it as needed. Their tag price is reasonable and machine washable.
- Only steam mop on sealed floors. There are some surfaces that can get damaged with moisture, so make sure to use a steam mop on sealed floors only.
Steam Cleaning Important Reminders
Steam cleaning is not suitable for all your cleaning requirements. When steam cleaning, you need to keep the following things in mind:
- Steam cleaning will loosen dirt and grime but will not remove them entirely, so you still need to wipe surfaces with a clean cloth.
- Before cleaning with your steam cleaner, make sure you’re wearing protective gloves and clothing.
- Avoid steam making any contact with your skin as it can cause burns that are painful.
- There are certain tasks that will be easier done using your hands.
- Make sure to read your equipment’s manual and follow its instructions carefully.
- Do not steam clean products made from cardboard and paper.
- Avoid steam cleaning silk and other delicate fabrics, as well as walls and or any furniture covered in water-based paint.
Traditional Mopping vs Steam Cleaning
If you’re wondering which method is the best, well both come with pros and cons that go beyond the use of energy and physical strength. As with anything, it will still boil down to your preference.
Traditional mops are a practical, less expensive, and simple household tool with a high absorbency capacity. You will need a bucket, mop, detergent, a lot of hot water and physical energy to use it. However, there are still plenty of people who prefer to clean their homes this way. It is ideal for those who love the smell of floors that have been freshly washed.
Depending on the size of your room, traditional mopping can be quite laborious. Although cleaning your space in this method is satisfying, it is not capable of killing germs and bacteria like a steam mop. Furthermore, it tends to leave behind residue from chemicals, and you also have to wait for your floors to dry before you can walk on them.
On the other hand, steam cleaners are specifically designed to take the hassle out of mopping. It makes the task of cleaning less time-consuming but more efficient. Using it requires minimal effort on your part as it is simple and quick to use.
Aside from sanitizing your home and making it a safer environment for the whole family, steam cleaners are also eco-friendly and cost-effective. Although it’s more expensive than a traditional mop, you don’t have to factor the extra cost of purchasing bucket, detergents, and other cleaning supplies.