August 12th, 2018 | Updated on September 12th, 2018
Here, we will discuss various issues that may occur with your Garmin GPS V along with their troubleshooting methods.
1. Unable to turn On Garmin GPS.
If your Garmin GPS V refuses to turn on even after trying repeatedly, then follow the resolving methods given below:
- Press and hold the power button – You should press the power button present on the front of the unit and hold it for a few seconds. Apply the pressure and let off as the unit turns on.
- Check for depleted batteries – If you have not used your Garmin V since days or left on for a considerable time, its batteries may be dead. Plug in your Garmin V into a power outlet or your computer and then for the activity. Make sure that your Garmin recognizes that it is hooked into a power source and it starts charging. If your Garmin GPS unit refuses to charge or is not able to hold the charge for very long, then you must replace its batteries.
- Damaged or loose SD Card – If your Garmin GPS V is not turning on, then try to remove the micro SD card before you start the device.
- Bad Display – Sometimes due to a bad display, your Garmin V may appear to be off. In that case, switch on the unit and try listening any activity inside it. If you hear any tone or vibration sound, it is likely its display is broken, and you must replace it. In order to replace it, you may contact Garmin customer service and ask for the further procedure.
- Damaged logic board – If your Garmin unit is not able to communicate with your computer or unable to connect with the power outlet, then it can have a damaged logic board. In that case, you need to install Garmin GPS V Logic board.
2. Garmin V is not receiving signal
If your Garmin V is not receiving a satellite signal when switched on, then you may go through the steps listed below in order to get rid of the problem.
- Reset the satellite data – In case you have not used your GPS for a long period of time, the ephermeris data may become outdated. So, your device must be reset by selecting the “new location” in the menu.
- Allow your device some time to receive a signal – You must wait for 15 to 20 minutes after switching on your Garmin V in order to acquire an outside satellite signal. The old ephermeris data may require some time to acquire new satellite data.
3. Screen goes blank or shows a single line
If the screen of your device goes blank and shows single horizontal lines when you turn it on, then follow these steps:
- Switch off WAAS – Switching off WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) on your Garmin V can provide a temporary fix for this issue. You can turn off WAAS by pressing twice the “Menu” button, which will redirect you to the main menu. Then, press “Setup” using the rocker keypad and then press “Enter”. Once you get the WAAS function on the system tab, you can disable it easily.
- Download the latest Firmware – You can download the latest firmware for your Garmin GPS V from the official website of Garmin. You may also contact Garmin Support for any further queries.
4. Garmin V shuts off while using
Your Garmin device may tend to automatically shut down from time to time during the use. The cause and solution of this issue can be:
- Batteries can be vibrating loose – Using Garmin V in the ways that result in shocks or vibrations like in vehicles can temporarily loosen up the batteries from their contacts. You can fix this by taping them in or by putting a spacer in the battery compartment. You may also call on the toll-free Garmin phone number and resolve your issues.