March 3rd, 2017 | Updated on April 8th, 2023
This year for the first time ever, a new wing will stay open all summer too, when the rest has melted down. staying at Sweden’s Icehotel which elicited the most questions. Are you mad? Isn’t it really cold? What do you sleep on? What do you wear?
Scroll Down For The ICE HOTEL Video
In short, yes it’s really cold, I slept on a bed genuinely crafted from ice, and I kept warm thanks to the strange space-age ‘duvet suit’ they provided me. But there’s so much more to it than that at this curious Lapland domain. Here are some amazing inside images of Lapland’s Palatial Icehotel.
1. Restful sleep in one of its 65 spacious rooms, all kept to a frigid temperature of -5C
2. Wavy Ice Structures And A Swirling Roof.
3. Despite the cold she slept happily all through the night in one of the hotel’s specially-designed duvet suits.
4. Its glacial walls and reindeer hide doors, it all started here in the far north of Sweden back in 1989.
5. Nestled in the small town of Jukkasjarvi, not far from Kiruna.
6. Hotel pioneer Yngve Bergqvist-its long corridors.
7. The hotel’s extremely cool Ice Bar.
8. The sprawling site consists of two oblong wings which house the bar and all the ice rooms.
9. The hotel sources its ice each year from the nearby Torne River.
10. Builders spends two months with chainsaws and tractors to get it ready.
11. The Icehotel melts back into the river from whence it came.
12. The Icehotel’s chapel, which holds weddings.
13. Drinks in the Ice Bar are served in these molded ice cubs.
14. While some courses in the restaurant are served on an ice slab.
15. A dinner fit for a (Vi) King in the property’s reclaimed wood paneled ski chalet-esque restaurant.
16. Bathrooms, equipped with a bath and a wooden sauna leading off from the cold room.
17. Reindeer hides are used widely throughout the rooms and seating areas to offer warmth and a little comfort here and there.
18. Dome panels at night time.
19. Amusingly, the hotel has fire extinguishers dug into some of its walls – a safety requirement.
20. Just outside its perimeter lies a vast stretch of flat land.
21. Fit snugly into a groove of each ice bed is a waterproof mattress topped with a reindeer hide.
Watch The ICE HOTEL Video
Video: YouTube: Samuel and Audrey