“One of the most terrifying movies we can remember which involve clowns and that seems kind of stupid”. HOWEVER, if you’re talking about Stephen King’s ‘It’, you’ll understand. But there are some facts that you should know about the horror classic.
1. It was inspired by real-life serial killer John Wayne Gacy, who would dress up as a clown and do children’s parties. He’s was called the “the clown murderer” and would do social services in parades and even visited sick kids in the hospitals.
2. Tim Curry had to give A LOT for this role – he had to spend hours at a time in full make-up and costume while he wasn’t on camera. Before he signed on, he also said he didn’t want that to happen.
3. Director of the famous “Dawn of the Dead” movie, George A. Romero, was supposed to direct – but producers feared that he’d make it WAYYYYY too gruesome.
4. A study says that Pennywise The Clown LITERALLY shaped the collective fears of an entire generation, According to one psychological study, people who saw the film were more likely to fear clowns AND were more likely to experience fear and anxiety when facing a clown.
5. Everyone would ignore Tim Curry on set because he was SO GOOD at his role. To the point that actors would feel uncomfortable around him when he was in full costume.
6. Child actor Jarred Blancard (young Henry Bowers) hated having to call Marlon Taylor (young Mike Hanlon) the n-word and always apologized after filming those scenes.
7. Two actors who starred in the filmed BOTH died in 2003 Jonathan Brandis and John Ritter. Brandis hung himself, and famed actor John Ritter suffered a freak fatal aortic dissection a heart problem.
8. There were REAL drugs on set. A lot of Eddie’s medications in the TV movie belonged to actor Dennis Christopher. The director told the actors to bring things from their regular lives to the set for a more authentic feel.
9. Alice Cooper was in the running for the role of Pennywise.
10. Despite the DERANGED storyline, all of the cast (young and old) have fond memories of working on it.
11. And finally, the sewer scenes were shot in an old steel mill and the cast had to be careful since there was a chance they could have contracted “tetanus”.
“It” Movie Trailer 2017: When children begin to disappear in the town of Derry, Maine, a group of young kids are faced with their biggest fears when they square off against an evil clown named Pennywise, whose history of murder and violence dates back for centuries.