Updated on January 18th, 2018
1. No one besides your mother and your crazy aunt tootie care how clean you keep your bathtub. You are a good person even if there’s a ring.
2. Your job doesn’t define you. (same goes for men, your friends, your hairstyle, your bra size, your shoe size, your nose size, your thigh size.) What you do defines you. So do good things.
3. Pick good friends. And you’ll know. They’re the ones who love you even when you don’t love yourself. They’re the ones who would pick you up in the middle of the night in a snowstorm from the airport in Denver, no questions asked.
4. Be a good friend. Return calls. Send birthday cards. Remember that beach trip or that silly thing you did together. Be willing to go to Denver. Give what you get.
5. No matter how you feel, get up, suit up and show up. Some days this will seem impossible, like right after your boyfriend breaks up with you because you’re not perfect enough for him. Resist the urge to pull the covers over your head and hide – there’s a wonderful world out there full of a fabulous life to be lived. Don’t waste a single day moping about something you can’t change.
6. Don’t marry that guy you date in your mid-to-late 20s just so you can be married. Because you might wake up one day and realize you’re living someone else’s life that you never really wanted and divorce is very.very expensive.
7. Stop thinking that money is the answer. It isn’t. Money can’t make you happy. It can buy you nice things and send you on nice trips, but if you’re a stinky person inside, you’ll still be a stinky person outside, no matter how rich you get.
8. If you’re dating someone and you hear a little voice in your head that says, “run,” then run. Don’t stay just because you don’t want to be alone. You are capable of being alone. You are happy alone.
9. Wear sunscreen. Don’t smoke. Drink lots of water. You will never, ever tire of hearing, “you’re 30?! I would never have guessed! You look 23!”
10. Exercise. And not because you want to be thin. Or to impress a man. But because it makes you feel good, and powerful and strong and makes your heart rate lower and you will at some point need to carry boxes of things around town and you don’t want to have to rely on someone else to carry the heavy stuff.
11. Fall in love. Over and over. Even when it hurts and it’s scary. Because the benefits outweigh the risks. Because it’s beautiful and fun and painful and terrifying, and totally worth it.
12. Forgive. Yourself and others. It’s the only way to accept things as they are and move on.
13. Learn how to apologize, sincerely. You will do and say some very stupid things in your life. Admit when you are wrong, and do the right thing. It will be humbling, but necessary.
14. Stop living your life in “should.” You “should” have a 9-5 job, or you “should” already be married with kids. Let go of “should” and focus on the reality of what is. Find your passion. Live with purpose. On their deathbed, no one ever wishes they had worked more and lived less.
15. Don’t sell yourself short. You are capable. You are lovely. You are strong and magnificent, and you will accomplish great things. Stop believing you aren’t good enough. You are.
16. Life moves on. Yes with or without you. I’ve learned this the hard way. If you honestly believe that everything and everyone will stop and drop everything at your beck and call, you’re dead wrong.
17. Exercise. Not to impress someone but do it for you. And to make you feel good inside and out.
18. Sleep. The one thing we always deprive ourselves from. As you get older, sleep will be one of the most essential things in your life. Other than the fact that lack of it can do some detrimental harm to your body.
19. Stop caring about what other people think or say about you. We can’t please everyone and that is okay. Don’t ever lose yourself in the process just to get the approval of people who don’t deserve you in their lives.
20. Quality over quantity. Having a few real people in your life is better than having a handful of fake ones. Remember that.
21. Take risks in life and in love. What’s a life without risks, right? Do it. Take that first leap of faith or you’ll never know what’s in store for you. Make your life a good story to tell.
22. Spend time with your family. See your parents. Call your sister. Hang out with your brother. Whatever it is, take the time to be with them. You never know the value of a moment when it becomes a memory.
23. We are stronger than we think. Don’t ever believe you won’t be able to move on and pick up the pieces, because you will. Every nerve and fiber in your being will help you pull through. Give yourself time to wallow in misery but know when to stand up and move on.
24. Don’t sell yourself short. You are beautiful. You are worthy. You are deserving. Stop believing that you’re not capable enough to achieve great things in life.
25. Try to understand that sometimes, you wont always get what you want in life, but rather, you’ll always end up with what you need. And in time, you’ll realize it was what you’ve always wanted ultimately.
26. Spend money on experiences than on things. Always remember that right now will be the oldest you’ve ever been and the youngest you’ll ever be again. Take chances. Fill your life with amazing stories and memories that leave no room for regrets and what ifs.
27. Have fun. Try not to take life too seriously. Live your life. Laugh often. And believe the beauty of magic.
28. Learn how to apologize. Know when you’ve done wrong and be sincerely sorry for it. Admit your mistakes and express your regret.
29. Be selfish to put yourself first. Be selfish enough to love yourself first. Be selfish to make your happiness a priority.
30. Change is inevitable. Change is the only thing in this world that doesn’t stay the same. It looks differently on everyone. Some accept change with ease while others do not. And as you get older, change happens more frequently even more than what you normally like.