You know the old saying, “Youth is wasted on the young?” The magical thing about lessons in life is that you learn something new every day. Some of these lessons you learn are small. And some others, well, they can help you change your life forever.
A lesson well learn can help you in every aspect of your life. It can help you be more successful, more wary, and most importantly, more happy. But if you want a list of great lessons that can truly help you change your life for the better, here are 21 real life lessons that you always need to remember.
1. You may not always get what you want in life, but sometimes this could be a blessing and a sign to steer yourself in another direction better than the one you were on.
2. You will struggle to define many things in your life, but in time you will realize that the real meaning of life is in the journey not in the definitions or the explanations.
3. Don’t look for people to fix you, look for people who will stand beside you as you fix yourself.
4. Forgiving someone is not weakness; hating them is.
5. You can’t take what other people say about you personally. What they think and say is a reflection of them, not you.
6. You are going to think that you know everything about love until you learn that love will never be understood.
7. Invest in a few good friends, they will always be your backbone and the ones you go to when you have no one else.
8. No matter how much progress you make, there will always be someone who thinks you are not good enough. Live to prove things to yourself not others.
9. Family matters, but they don’t always know what matters to you. They can be wrong too. Don’t blindly trust them.
10. Don’t give up. Someone once said it’s always the last key on the key ring that opens the door.
11. If nothing ever helps you, music surely will.
12. Your talent is God’s gift to you, don’t squander that gift, and hone your talent instead. There’s a saying that says “your gift will make a way for you.
13. When you stop chasing the wrong things you give the right things a chance to catch you.
14. You will struggle to let go of someone, but you will realize that holding on is worse. Either way you have to learn how to let go of things that are not meant for you.
15. One book can change your life. Never underestimate the valuable lessons you can learn from one man’s experiences.
16. You will learn that sometimes you have to be your only fan until you find your audience.
17. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you think you pushed someone away. People who truly care about you will find a reason to stay.
18. It’s OK to be guarded but don’t deny love when you start feeling it. You will never regret taking a chance on love.
19. Sometimes you have be vulnerable and say what you really feel. It will give you clarity, closure and peace of mind.
20. Success only feels great when it’s fused with passion.
21. Your looks won’t define you but your character will. Always work on your character first.
Let’s find out what other people have to say about, What is your most memorable life lesson? on Quora :
An egg will die when it’s broken from the outside. But from it, could emerge new life if and only if, it breaks from the inside. I think it implies that you can’t just expect people to change who you are. You have to start from and within yourself. Read more here… By Haryo Pandu
It’s a slight misquotation from Buddha: ‘We suffer because we demand that things be different to the way that they are.’ So, prefer things to be different if you wish, but drop the demands! Read more here… By Alan Davidson
I was starting out as an electrician and was examining a job. We use a cable called Romex. It is a bundle of wires encased in a plastics heath, usually white. There was a romex cable coming out of the floor and entering a wall. At the top of the wall was an identical one exiting and entering the ceiling. Obviously, I thought, the same cable. Read more here… By Kelly La Rue
Father and daughter went to a temple. Suddenly, daughter shouted after seeing the pillars of Lions at the entrance of the temple. “Run Dad, or those lions will eat us “Dad consoled her saying that they are just statues and wont harm us. Read more here… By Namra Solanki
As we grow up, we find that not everyone you care about, cares about you. Some are mere acquaintances. The world and the people has a lot to teach you in life. There are so many temporary people in this world. Read more here… By Prasanna Venkatesh
He was diagnosed with clinical depression after his wife became pregnant with another man’s child. He was placed on mood altering meds and was going through life with a gauze barrier protecting him from the psychological hell he was going through. His wife didn’t like the way he was acting on the meds and took them and flushed them down the porcelain convenience. Read more here… By Michael Hooper
ALWAYS believe in your gut feeling or intuition. Recognise that feeling, it have something to tell you and you should listen. I think anyone would learn this in their life one way or another. I am very lucky to learn this at a young age. Read more here… By Rex Nigel
Acceptance has made a huge difference in how readily I decide to be happy each day. And by acceptance I do not mean that it’s “okay” with me. I mean that some things just have to taken as they are and no amount of wishing or revising or denying will change it. Read more here… By Tracie Palmer
Don’t love anyone who loves someone else. It will gradually break you inside. I am really sorry if your thinking is different from me but it’s my personal view so please don’t criticise me. Read more here… By Rahul Kumar
My most memorable life lesson so far was when I was assertive to my aunt. I grew up not being assertive and was taught by my mother not to be assertive. When I finally was assertive my controlling aunt …. stopped talking to me. How controlling… I stood my ground and realized that my fear of her turning away and not being part of my life wasn’t as bad as I thought. Read more here… By Robert Laurie
The above picture represents one of the most important lessons that I have learnt till now – We worry about way too many things, but almost none of them are under control and so, if we stop worrying about these, our life would become simpler, happier and more satisfactory. We would be better able to focus our thoughts, time and energy on things we actually care, on people we actually love and on actions that we never took but always wanted to. Read more here… By Shikhar Agarwal
I think the best way for me to illustrate this point is through my friend’s story. His name is Jerry. This is his story. The day after prom, Jerry woke up and looked down at his ankles. They were swollen. From that moment on his life would change forever. Read more here… By Nelson Wang
If you calculate approximately the days you or your loved ones have left you’re probably a depressed maniac, but if you actually do it you’ll notice that you’re running out of the time every second, and you will regret that hug you didn’t give or that kind word you didn’t say. Read more here… By Matias Javier De Marco
This is something I’ve learnt from the story of ups and downs of the coaching classes I attended in the years 2008-2011. Bansal Classes was once the king of IIT-JEE coaching classes at that time. In the year 2008, 6 out of top 10 AIRs in IITJEE were from Bansal Classes. Read more here… By Rakshita Nagayach
Generally the time spent in college equips people with the most important life lessons and experiences.On the contrary, most of the lessons that I have learnt have been post college life.Some of the things that I have learnt in the last 2 years of my secluded lifestyle. Read more here… By Sourav Sen
No one owes you shit. No one has to love you. No one has to be yours. No one has to listen to you. No one can be forced to adhere to what you say. Read more here… By Tej Dhillon
Life keeps gifting you small and big lessons everyday, it’s you who have to learn them. Since the day I developed my memory and understanding, I have seen life always giving some lessons wrapped in experiences. Read more here… By Purwa Rojindar
An investment banker stood at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The banker complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. Read more here… By Arpit Srivastava
Below is a list of the Top 12 rules I have established from my personal experiences and those of family, friends and colleagues. Follow them regularly and they will shape your life for the better! Read more here… By Ajita Gupta
There is one lesson I have learned recently about this one. Being quite disciplined en competitive, I always wanted to be the best at everything, be better than others. As the picture below describes, you only have to be the best for the right person. Read more here… By Robert Veraart