Published on May 22nd, 2017
A picture is worth a thousand words, it’s true because putting a strong moment into words is very hard, especially when those moments come about after looking other people in times of complete loss and despair.
This post is a collection of raw, powerful, and unforgettable photographs that tell the story of heartbreak, compassion, wonder, triumph, despair, and pure joy.
1. A Russian soldier stops to play an abandoned piano in Chechnya in 1994.
2. Heart surgeon after 23-hour-long (successful) heart transplant. His assistant is sleeping in the corner.
3. A WW2 Russian tank veteran finally found the old tank in which he passed through the entire war – standing in a small Russian town as a monument.
4. A villager saved stray cats by carrying them with a basket balanced on his head during massive floods in Cuttack City, India in 2011.
5. An Afghan man offering tea to a soldier.
6. A recreated photograph for a photo competition in 2006. It is based on archive photos from the war in Russia in 1941-1945.
7. A missionary holding a starving child’s hand.
8. The Burning Monk, Malcolm Browne, 1963
9. The Terror of War, Nick Ut, 1972
10. Starving Child and Vulture, Kevin Carter, 1993
11. Tank Man, Jeff Widener, 1989
12. Terri Gurrola is reunited with her daughter after serving in Iraq for 7 months.
13. The graves of a Catholic woman and her Protestant husband in Holland, 1888.
14. Diego Frazão Torquato, 12 year old Brazilian playing the violin at his teacher’s funeral. The teacher had helped him escape poverty and violence through music.
15. Wait For Me Daddy, October 1, 1940 A line of soldiers march in British Columbia on their way to a train as five-year-old Whitey Bernard tugs away from his mother’s hand to reach out for his father.
16. A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bush fires in Victoria, Australia, in 2009.
17. Earthrise, William Anders, NASA, 1968
18. Mushroom Cloud Over Nagasaki, Lieutenant Charles Levy, 1945
19. V-J Day in Times Square, Alfred Eisenstaedt, 1945
20. A girl in isolation for radiation screening looks at her dog through a window in Nihonmatsu, Japan on March 14, 2011.
21. A mother comforts her son in Concord, Alabama, near his house which was completely destroyed by a tornado.
22. Chile’s Puyehue volcano erupts, causing air traffic cancellations across South America, New Zealand, Australia and forcing over 3,000 people to evacuate.
23. Fire Escape Collapse, Stanley Forman, 1975
24. A Man on the Moon, Neil Armstrong, NASA, 1969
25. Guerillero Heroico, Alberto Korda, 1960
26. Cars are abandoned on Chicago’s Lake Shore Drive during the “Snowpocalypse” in February.
27. A little Guarani girl embracing a dead rat.
28. Released prisoner of war Lt. Col. Robert L. Stirm is greeted by his family at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, Calif., as he returns home from the Vietnam War, on March 17, 1973.
29. Lyndsey Miller is overwhelmed with emotion as she holds her premature baby, Ward, who spent 107 days of his life in intensive care at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. Today he is a healthy and strong.
30. People watch as the last steel beam of the World Trade Center, signed by members of the crews that helped build the tower,is hoisted 977 feet to the tower.