Published on March 8th, 2017
When we see something we recognize as perfect, we often recoil even as we marvel at its beauty. But why is perfection so intimidating? Is it because we know how much work goes into achieving it? Is it because we know it’s always just out of reach? Or is it just another impossible standard?
There’s something almost unnatural about perfection. We need to see warts on the frog to know it’s real, you know? It’s hard to trust anything that doesn’t have a feel of being weathered or tussled and without even slight flaws. When things get too close to perfect, it can be scary. These twenty-one things so close to perfect it’s scary take a look.
1. The Heydar Aliyev Concert Hall in Azerbaijan.
2. Military precision even applies to mothballed planes.
3. Students gathered for an assembly staying completely in the shade.
4. These markers in a bucket.
5. The Nasir Al-Mulk Mosque in Iran, completed in 1888.
6. This soap that looks like a PB&J sandwich.
7. Golf pencils arranged so well you don’t want to take one.
8. A fiber-optic dress.
9. The water effects on the “Storm before Glory” diorama.
10. I will never make a waffle this perfect.
11. These boxes which lined up just right.
12. This succulent.
13. Beautiful toothpaste swirl.
14. A snowball so perfect it would be a shame to throw it.
15. Dungeons and Dragons, anyone?
16. The fine, sharp lines on this sandcastle.
17. When you’re 100 percent confident in your truck’s clearance.
18. Yet another reason why Disney is so beloved.
19. Beautifully arranged stonework.
20. The floating staircase that’s as attractive as it is forbidding.
21. Any guesses how much time it took to wrangle these cables?