Published on August 10th, 2018
Take a trip down memory lane with these vintage India pictures to get a sneak peek of Indian heritage and the famous person from the past. Here are some rare pre-Independence day pictures that will take you back in time.
1. Few of the rarest photos from India are Felice Beato’s photographs from Indian rebellion of 1857, which were possibly the first-ever photographic images of corpses.
2. An Air India airhostess aiding a passenger on a Delhi-Bombay flight in 1946
3. A watch store in Lahore, then still a part of India, in 1946.
4. Rabindranath Tagore, Dr. S. Radhakrishnan and Sir Maurice Gwyer at Sinha Sadan after the Oxford University Convocation on 7th of August 1940
5. We see a portrait of India’s first Test Cricket Team on its maiden tour to England in 1932.
6. The uniform of the Indian Army soldiers in 1850.
7. This image of Tagore and Einstein brings geniuses from worlds apart together.
8. Tagore is greeted by Helen Keller.
9. The last surviving picture of Bhagat Singh while he was jailed.
10. The Times of India building at Elphinstone Circle in 1898.
11. Indian ambulances lined up in Chennai in the 1940s
12. Mahatma Gandhi during his time in South Africa in 1900.
13. The first Indian lady pilot, Sarla Thakral, at 21 years of age.
14. Train at 1895
15. A Young French boy introduces himself to Indian soldiers who had just arrived in France to fight alongside French and British forces in First World War, Marseilles, 30th September 1914
16. A Locomotive Railway Engine on the line of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway which Passes through the Main Street of a Hill Village, 1880’s
17. Chandpal Ghat, Kolkata. Bathers reached the river through tunnels under the railway line, 1910’s
18. Dhyan Chand playing for India vs. France in the 1936 Olympic Hockey semi-finals
19. The Great Gama and his brother Imam Baksh square off during an exhibition match held in front of the Red Fort – New Delhi, 1940’s
20. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Reviewing the Troops of Azad Hind Fauj – 1940’s
21. Pavement School, Gelatin Silver Print – Jaipur, 1948
22. Girls School in Jaipur, Rajasthan – 1870’s
23. Indian Young Nationalist Affixing a Boycott Sign, to a Foreign Cart in the Streets of Bombay (Mumbai) – 1930
24. Bombay (Mumbai), India – Street of the Pearl Dealers – 1912
25. Earliest known photograph of the Taj Mahal taken by Dr. John Murray of East India Company in the 1850s.
26. Zebra cart in 1930s Calcutta.This is a picture of a Zebra cart being used as a mode of transport in Calcutta in the 1930s.
27. All of Mahatma Gandhi’s worldly possessions, captured in 1938.
28. Interior of the Sikandar Bagh after the slaughter of 2,000 rebels by the 93rd Highlanders and 4th Punjab Regiment, April 1858. Photo at the J Paul Getty Museum. Photo at the Brown University Library.
29. Frontier Gandhi with Mahatma Gandhi
30. The Martyr’s Well at Jallianwala Bagh
31. Jawaharlal Nehru addressing the press in Delhi in 1947, shortly before Independence
32. Last photo of Chandra Shekhar Azad at Alfred Park
33. Death certificate of Bhagat Singh
34. The Dandi March or The Salt Satyagraha of 1930
35. Jawaharlal Nehru welcoming Cuban revolutionary Che Guavara
36. Dr. Ambedkar and his family
37. Mahatma Gandhi with Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
38. Gandhi and Jinnah in a heated conversation
39. Netaji caught by the British Police for the last time
40. The last photograph of Bhagat Singh in Lahore jail
41. Rabindranath Tagore with Sir Albert Einstein
42. When Subhas Chandra Bose met Hitler
43. Lord Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of India salutes the Indian National Flag