Chlorine is common in tap water because chlorination of the municipal water is a commonly used method across the world. Don’t get it twisted; by the municipal using chlorine to disinfect the water, they have your best interest at heart because they are eradicating disease-causing bacteria, cysts and viruses.
Chlorine comes with a strong odor and can be tasted when drinking water straight from the tap. The levels of chlorine in water should not exceed 4mg/l, which is deemed safe for consumption. However, even such low levels work against the human immune system with lengthy use.
Prolonged use of chlorine causes some health issue in most people, proving that chlorine is not human-friendly. Luckily, chlorine can be removed easily from the drinking water. To remove the chlorine from your water, it is important to use a carbon-based chlorine removal water filters.
Health impact of chlorine in tap water
Chlorine is one of the most expensive ways to protect the public against the common water-borne diseases. Most times, chlorine is combined with other disinfectants like chloramine to make it more effective.
Either of these disinfectants produces by-products that are not human-friendly. These by-products are known as THMs and they enter the body through ingestion or skin contact with this kind of water.
Some of the dangerous side effects of these by-products include:
- Dry skin and hair that causes itchiness, skin rashes, eczema flare-ups, psoriasis
- Asthma attacks due to inhalation of the water when showering or bathing
- An increased risk of breast cancer
- Reproductive health problems and miscarriages
- Nervous system problems in small children
The best way to handle the chlorine from your tap water is not to switch to bottled water but to filter it. Did you also know you can use a very simple method known as aeration to remove chlorine from the water?
Aeration is the process of exposing your water under the sun. However, this method is not popular because it affects the freshness of water. Besides this method, the easiest that one can use is using a filter.
Types of filters include:
- Ceramic filters – These are filters that remove chlorine from water using an easy process and preserves your water in the cool ceramic holder.
- Activated carbon filters – These are made from organic raw materials like wood or coconut shell. This is one of the best water filters for removing chlorine from your water. The carbon water filters come in two forms; granular activated carbon and carbon block. These filters remove up to 99.9% of chlorine plus all its byproducts from tap water.
- Multi-stage reverse osmosis filter – These filters have both the carbon block and granular activated pre-post filters and they produce odorless drinking water.
The best way to keep you and your loved ones safe is to invest in a water filter as soon as possible. You don’t have to wait for the effects of chlorine to come hard on you before you take action. Take the first step in protecting your health!