Updated on October 18th, 2016
Dogs and their owners came from as far away as Florida, Australia and Brazil for the eighth edition of the annual event in aid of animal charities.
Canine and human competitors had 12 minutes to catch their top five waves, with judges evaluating them on their confidence level, length of ride and overall ability to ride the wave.
The winner of the dog-only shredder division was Bono, a Labrador owned by Ivan Moreira of Brazil. An Australian Kelpie named Abbie won the separate World Dog Surfing Championship.
Scroll down for some amazing photos of dogs at the Surf City Surf Dog Competition.
1. A dog prepares to compete in the Surf City Surf Dog competition at Huntington Beach.
2. A dog wipes out during the Surf City Surf Dog competition in Huntington Beach, California.
3. A lifeguard carries a dog back into the water.
4. A man lifts a dog out of the surf.
5. A keen competitor rides a wave during the competition.
6. A dog wipes out during the Surf City Surf Dog competition in Huntington Beach, California.
7. Surf dog Brandy the pug catches a large wave.
8. Spectators enjoy the day.
9. A competitor is thrown from their board while trying to navigate a large wave.
10. A swimmer cheers as a dog rides a wave.
11. A surf dog catches a large wave.
12. A surf dog catches a large wave during the 8th annual Surf City Surf Dog event.
13. A dog rides a wave during the Surf City Surf Dog competition in Huntington Beach.\
14. A dog wears a medal after competing.
Source : theguardian.com