Published on January 30th, 2017
Roger Federer won his 18th Grand Slam title by defeating Rafael Nadal in a classic five-set battle to win his fifth Australian Open men’s singles crown and record breaking 18th Grand Slam title at the Rod Laver Arena on January 29. It was the 35-year-old Federer’s first major title since Wimbledon in 2012, his first in Australia since 2010, and it reversed the status quo against his nemesis, Nadal. Federer was in tears as he won the thrilling summit clash against his great rival Rafael Nadal.
Federer had lost six of the previous eight Grand Slam finals he’d played against Nadal, and had only previously beaten the left-handed Spaniard in 11 of their 34 matches.
With this win, Federer has become the first man in history to win five or more titles at three different Grand Slam events. He has won five Australian Opens, seven Wimbledons, five US Opens and one French Open.
A few sports experts consider Roger Federer as possibly the greatest sportsman ever. Sure to spark debate, but let’s look at some famous quotes about this legend by other tennis players:
1. I never played anyone playing that fast. He doesn’t have any weaknesses at all. He really deserves to be called the best player of all time.
2. Federer is the most beautiful man to watch play tennis. The most beautiful I’ve ever seen play His movement combined with the artistry, his racquet the look, he’s got everything going.
3. I can cry like Roger, its just a shame I can’t play like him.
4. The best way to heat him would be to hit him over the head with a racquet
5. He’s a real person. He’s not an enigma. Off the court he’s not trying to be somebody. If you met him at McDonald’s and you didn’t know who he was, you would have no idea that he’s one of the best athletes in the world.
6. Far me, in my prime, I felt unbeatable. In Roger’s days, he’s unbeatable. It’s really hard to put one guy over the her. Having said that, I think Roger is dominating the game much more than I ever did. I think he’s going to break all records.
7. There’s probably not a department in his game that couldn’t be considered the best in that department. He’s the best I’ve ever played against
8. Today I was paying my best tennis, trying lots o different things, but nothing worked. When you’re playing like that and he still comes up with all those great shots you really have to wonder if he’s even from the same planet.
9. For me Roger is the greatest player ever who played the tennis game. It’s always good to see him play and win and we are going to see so much more of Federer in the future; he is going to win more grand slam tournaments.
Tennis Star Roger Federer