Also known as Connaught Circus and now renamed as Rajiv Gandhi Chowk, this is the most fashionable shopping center and one of the most crowded places of New Delhi. It is probably the most beautiful circus and most also most planned shopping centers in the country. Presence of all leading business house makes this place one of the largest financial, commercial and business centers. Named after H.R.H. Field Marshal the 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn it was built in 1933 as a showpiece of Lutyens’ Delhi with a prominent Central Business District. At the time of construction the entire area was a covered with forest and wild animals and only Hanuman Mandir, Jantar Mantar and Jain temple were present. People of village includingMadhoganj, JaisinghPura and Raja ka Bazaar were relocated to Karol Bagh to clear the area for the construction and the development of its nearby areas. Constructed using Georgian Architectural Style, Connaught place is circular in appearance having an inner circle and the outer circle, but a close observation shows that it is in horse shoe shape. The inner circle consists of four large and two small blocks and the outer circle has ten blocks. In early days Connaught place was the entertainment hub of Delhi because there were five cinema halls in this area namely Plaza, Regal, Rivoli, Odeon and a short-lived “Indian Talkie House” that opened in 1938. 12 different roads lead out from the outer circle and Jan path is most famous of them all. There is an underground shopping complex known as Palika Bazar which also attracts lots of tourists. A central park area has been developed which hosts various cultural shows. On 7th march 2014, Largest Indian national Tricolor measuring 60 X 60 feet was hoisted at Connaught Place. Presently Connaught place is the fourth most expensive office destination in the world.
Request A Quote