America has been called a lot of things: beautiful, majestic, wild, and great. It’s all those and more.
Whether you’re driving down the Pacific Coast Highway, whale watching in Cape Cod, or waiting for Old Faithful to erupt in Yellowstone National Park, the US is full of incredible surprises.
From the East Coast to the West and everywhere in between, we’ve found 27 trips you must take in the US.
1. Soak in the rejuvenating waters of Mystic Hot Springs in Utah.
2. Get up-close to a panda at the San Diego Zoo in California.
3. Sample Korean tacos, artisanal cupcakes, and other street foods in Portland, Oregon, where vendors line up their food carts in “pods.”
4. Play a round of golf at Georgia’s Augusta National Golf Course, home of The Masters
5. Scarf down a white clam pie with friends at Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven, Connecticut.
6. Bundle up and sport a cheesehead hat at a Green Bay Packers game in Wisconsin.
7. Camp out in the wilderness of Minnesota’s Boundary Waters.
8. Marvel at the wild ponies of Assateague Island, which is split between Maryland and Virginia.
9. Don a big hat at the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, Kentucky.
10. Celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Louisiana.
11. Hike over moss-covered rocks in Washington State’s Olympic National Park.
12. Drive through Montana and marvel at the state’s extraordinary scenery.
13. Get lost on the grounds of the extraordinary Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina.
14. Trek along on a guided glacier tour in Juneau, Alaska.
15. Cruise down the Mississippi River in a classic steamboat.
16. Pose for a photo at Four Corners Monument, where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah meet.
17. Drive through New Hampshire’s famous covered bridges and see the fall foliage.
18. Climb the sand bluffs at Sleeping Bear Dunes for the ultimate view of Lake Michigan.
19. Hike along a section of the Appalachian Trail.
20. Take an architecture boat tour through Chicago.
21. Take a whitewater rafting trip through the canyons of the Rio Grande.
22. Admire the ancient adobe buildings of Taos Pueblo, a 1,000-year-old community outside Taos, New Mexico.
23. Fly down Kingda Ka, the world’s tallest roller coaster, at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.
24. Get uncomfortably close to the flowing lava from Kilauea volcano around Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
25. Cut through fresh powder on skis or a snowboard in Sun Valley, Idaho.
26. Go to Vermont during the autumn, when the leaves turn bright yellow, reds orange, and brown.
27. Explore the Florida Everglades in an air boat and look out for gators.