December 22nd, 2021 | Updated on June 23rd, 2022
The essay plays an extremely important role in teaching students, in preparing them for practical activity. Working on a topic helps to consolidate, deepen, and systematize the knowledge gained.
Performing this type of work contributes to the development of students’ ability to creatively study the academic discipline. A person learns to closely link theoretical positions with practice, conducting specific independent research.
Paper Preparation Includes The Following Steps:
- Selection of theme;
- The choice of an idea for writing an essay, determination of the style and nature of future work;
- Initial acquaintance with the literature on the selected topic;
- Drawing up a preliminary version of the plan;
- Study of selected literary sources;
- Drawing up the final version of the plan;
- Collection and processing of factual data, publications in special literature, as well as their systematization and generalization;
- Writing and editing the text of the work.
It takes approximately 15-30 minutes to write a 300-word essay. However, it often happens that after writing the paper, students need essay assistance because they reveal its insufficient volume. It seems that everything is written, but there is not enough material. How to make an essay longer? use and assignment writing service like EssayHub to help you kick-start the process.
Tips On How To Increase The Volume Of Your Essay
The volume of your paper can be increased by applying one or more of the techniques described below. Try to study them carefully.
Describe The Work As A Whole
Do you think about the question, “What words can I use to make my essay longer?” It is appropriate to describe the work as a whole. Try to do this in the introductory part.
Try to tell what the relevance of the research is, what will be described in the paper, etc. The number of words will definitely increase due to the detailed description of your research.
Identify Additional Sources
When searching for additional literature, it is recommended to use special catalogs of reports. You can also consider dissertations, newspaper and magazine articles. Pay attention to the literature not only on the topic of the work but also on topics close to the chosen one.
In the process of working with literary sources, students are encouraged to create their own card index or electronic database of literary sources.
It is advisable to systematize outgoing data for each scientific source. This includes an author, the title of the book, article or another source, the name of the publisher, and a year of publication.
It is advisable to include scientific sources of a periodic nature published over the past 5-10 years. Fundamental works that reveal the conceptual apparatus of research have no statute of limitations.
Add Good Arguments, Examples, And Facts
The main text is usually built on the key link “thesis – argument”. An idea or concept is put forward. It offers a way to explain the key questions of the work.
A transition to examples and reasoning follows this. It is better to choose examples so that they attract attention and demonstrate the content of the question.
An essay requires critical arguments. They can be introduced in different ways: collide the positions of two authors or express your arguments.
Quote The Opinions Of Leading Experts
The number of citations depends on the topic of the work. It is clear that you cannot do without copious citations if it is about researching scholarly contributions. It is necessary to quote only when the given formulation is the most comprehensive in all other cases.
Practice shows that citation can significantly increase the volume of the text of the essay. But when applying it, you need to follow several rules:
- The excerpts that you are going to disassemble in detail should not exceed half a page in length. If the volume of the quotation is more than indicated, it is better to put it in the appendix;
- Excerpts from critical literature are only needed when they support your point of view. They are also appropriate if they are formulating new provisions that do not need to be rephrased;
- If you disagree with the cited author, you must specify it before or after the quoted statement. It is a good experience to convincingly state your point of view;
- The citation should be properly formatted so that there are no questions about who the author of the statement is.
- That is, a link to the original source is required;
- The text of the quote must completely match the source from which it is taken. All quotes should be double-checked against the original sources.
Add Figures, Tables And Analyze Them
Another technique that allows you to stretch out an essay is the use of illustrations, tables, and so on. Pay attention, please, that all graphic materials (photographs, screenshots, drawings, graphs, diagrams) must be referenced in the text.
Illustrations must be placed in the work immediately after the text in which they are mentioned for the first time. Each illustration, table, or diagram should have explanatory data.
You can increase the volume of the essay by increasing the conclusions. The conclusion is the last final part of the work. It contains a generalization of the theoretical and practical results of the work. Here you can provide:
- Conclusions that characterize the results obtained in the research;
- Give specific methodological suggestions and recommendations;
- Assess the practical significance of the study;
- Identify the prospects for the implementation of the results obtained, etc.
Write Well-Formatted Paragraphs
Try to format your text correctly. Divide it into paragraphs. Apply the necessary font.
Requirements For The Presentation Of The Text
When trying to increase the volume of your paper, do not forget that there are some requirements, applying to the text of an essay. They must be followed in any case.
An essay is a qualifying work. This means that it is important for the author to pay attention to the language and general writing style.
The linguistic and stylistic culture of the paper allows drawing a conclusion about the general culture of the student who wrote it.
Both the language and style of scientific work as a part of written scientific speech were formed under the direct influence of academic etiquette.
The main characteristics of the essay text are coherence, integrity, and semantic completeness. Logical connections are expressed here using special functional-syntactic means of communication, which indicate:
- The sequence of thought development (then, hence, so);
- Conflicting relationship (however, meanwhile, while, nonetheless);
- Causal relationship (therefore, thanks to this, in addition);
- The sequential transition from one idea to another (having considered);
- Result, conclusion (in this way, in conclusion, summing up).
Introductory phrases are avoided in work. The material is presented briefly and accurately. The ability to separate basic information from secondary information is one of the main requirements.
Good results in developing the ability to highlight basic information are provided by filtering and compressing text, which includes two operations:
- Breaking down the text into parts according to the meaning;
- Finding in each part of the text one word, a short phrase, or generalizing formulation expresses this part’s key concept.
The written paper is carefully checked. The author bears full responsibility for all misprints both in his own text and citations.
Thus, now you know how to make your essay longer. Put the above techniques into practice and achieve great results! But do not forget about the requirements for the text.