September 18th, 2018 | Updated on March 5th, 2020
Several congenital conditions, diseases, and accidents can lead to a situation, where the only respite is surgery at the hands of a trained expert. When it comes to any form of operation, there is no replacement for experience.
A doctor with enough years of practice has possibly faced all the challenges possible in his or her career. As a result, when you go up to him or her with your unique case, he or she already knows the possible solutions. Reliance and confidence on a medical professional come with the reputation he has as a surgeon.
1. Why Is Surgery Only The Beginning Of A Cure?
Surgery may be the solution to several issues people face, but it is only a step to recovery. Proper recovery requires intense therapy, medication and trauma management. Even after surgery, there is remnant swelling, trauma from prolong illness and partial immobility.
Since we need our hands to be completely functional in our everyday lives, we should always pay attention to every advice the hand surgeon gives between our first consultation and our last one.
It is common for people to experience difficulties in movement and pain in the site of the surgery immediately after. Pain medications are almost always necessary for the immediate management of the pain.
2. What Is The Post-Surgery Recovery Process?
If you are about to go under the knife, you should prepare for the following –
- Your hand surgeon may put your hand in a bandage and a splint after the surgery. It is to reduce the movement and eliminate the possibility of hurting the surgery site once again. Some operations require immobilization of the forelimbs for weeks or even months at a time. That is when doctors like Looi Kok Poh can help you reduce the recovery time by using the state-of-the-art techniques.
- For complete recovery, you may have to restrict the movement of your arms. Your doctor may ask you to refrain from certain activities including playing tennis or golf or reducing the time you spend on the keyboard. The requirements during the recovery phase depend on the individual, and your hand surgeon will decide the details of the activity.
- Rehabilitation is sometimes necessary for people who undergo major surgical procedures. Moreover, extended recovery periods call for extensive therapy and rehabilitation. It typically consists of physiotherapy and occupational therapy. Even when you have the best hand surgeon in town, you should consult a trained rehabilitation specialist for this phase. If your surgeon has experience with rehabilitation therapy, then it is a win-win situation.
3. What Should You Expect During Rehabilitation Therapy?
During the recovery period, you will have to undergo extensive physical therapy that includes the following –
- Heat therapy
- Massage by experts only
- Nerve stimulation through electrical stimulus
- Bandages to help reduce the inflammation
- Simple exercises for increasing mobility and strength
A good hand surgeon will tell you that surgery is not the only solution to your problems. If you have the option of taking regular medication and participating in physiotherapy to enjoy a good quality of life, then you should give it a thought.
- What You Should Know About Eyelid Surgery
- Why Do Teens Seek Rejuvenation With Genital Cosmetic Surgery?
Health Disclaimer :
Information provided by Newszii.com does in no way substitute for qualified medical opinion. Any text, videos or any other material provided by us should be considered as generic information only. Any health related information may vary from person to person, hence we advice you to consult specialists for more information.