Published on May 5th, 2020
The market of online education is rapidly growing: according to experts’ estimates, it will generate up to $325 billion by 2025.
So, if you are looking for an idea of a new startup, an e-learning app is a great option to consider.
That being said, an idea is only half the battle. It’s crucial to choose the right concept, think of features, design, and other aspects.
Let’s review the types of successful e-learning projects, their features, and development costs.
What Are E-Learning Web Apps?
An e-learning web app is an online site where one can get educational materials on a paid basis.
These materials come in a variety of forms: texts, charts, PDFs, video/audio lectures, presentations, and so on.
The “students” of these sites can track their progress, and after final testing, they usually get diplomas or certificates.
There are several business models of e-learning apps. In the framework of this article, we’ll review two popular approaches through the example of two popular web platforms.
This is a major educational platform, which collaborates with the world-known colleges and universities.
The attendants of the courses get access to master-classes and lectures of university professors.
A monthly fee for the courses varies from $39 to $79; all the graduates get certificates in the end.
This is another popular online project but its approach is different. The authors of its courses are individual tutors and teachers.
The main advantage of the platform is a huge choice of classes to choose from: over 130 thousand courses at the price ranging from $20 to $200.
Both business models proved to be quite effective. At the same time, both have some drawbacks.
When thinking of developing an e-learning app, consider both strong and weak points of the chosen approach.
Must-Have Features Of An E-Learning Platform
Of course, you may pack your web app with as many features as you wish. Probably, some of them will turn really useful. However, there are some core, basic features, which make an e-learning platform.
Let’s review briefly these must-have features that you will find on any educational website.
- A sign-up page/profile management. Registration is compulsory for all members of an e-learning platform, so there must be a simple log-in/sign-up form. For a registered user, there must be a feature of profile management for changing account settings.
- Search filters. This feature helps search for courses by various criteria: price, popularity, discipline, level, and so on. It’s a good idea to add the feature of searching by keywords and autosuggestion of popular options,
- Dashboard. This is a panel where your actions in the system and statistics are displayed. Students need it to track their progress, while tutors can use it to track their weekly/monthly revenue, the number of students, and ratings.
- A course page. It contains complete information about a particular course: its cost, duration, number of lessons, authors, materials, and customer reviews. Here, a user can find a description of the cost and make a decision on whether to buy it or not.
- A payment page. E-learning site developers must create a safe and convenient system of payments. Students must be able to pay for the courses, while tutors must have a possibility to withdraw their earnings. Major websites support various payment methods, including e-wallets, credit, and debit cards.
- Course editing. This feature is meant for the authors of e-courses. They need to have a possibility to delete or edit their courses, add materials, tests, charts, files, etc.
- On-site notifications. This is a useful feature that helps users stay aware of the latest news, new offers, and special campaigns.
- An admin panel. This is a must-have feature for the project administrators who need to manage user accounts and content.
How To Develop An E-Learning Web App
The process of an e-learning site development consists of three main stages that are subdivided into smaller goals. The three major tasks that you need to resolve are the following ones:
- Choose the right type of content based on the demands of your target audience. Make a “portrait” of a typical user of your site: his/her age, level of education, interests, etc.
- Find a professional team of qualified developers. Irrespective of the web app type, you need to focus on the quality of backend and frontend development. At this stage, you need to decide between in-house and outsource web development.
- Look for professional tutors or course authors who can offer high-quality content at a reasonable price.
How Much Does It Cost To Create An E-Learning Site?
To calculate the final price of the project you need to know how long the development will take. Just multiply the number of hours on the hourly rate of the developers to get the total cost.
The developers’ rates vary significantly depending on the country of their residing. Approximate rates are the following:
- The USA/Canada – $150 per hour;
- Australia – $100 per hour;
- Western Europe – $100 per hour;
- Eastern Europe – $50 per hour.
Let’s take the floor price of $50 per hour and an approximate number of hours needed for the development of an MVP app – 1095.
The total price, in this case, will be $54 000. A full-featured project will require at least 1200 hours of developer work. This will give the final price of $187 000.
Vitaly Kuprenko is a technical writer at Cleveroad. It’s a mobile and web development company in Ukraine. He enjoys telling about tech innovations and digital ways to boost businesses.