Updated on January 18th, 2019
The concept of the electric scooter was basically introduced and designed to improve people’s mobility. Scooter was originally served as kid’s toy but nowadays many adults take advantage of scooter.
If the conventional scooter uses kick style to move, but throughout the years, electric scooter is also invented. Surprisingly, the electric scooter receives huge attention not only from adults but also from weaker and elderly people.
Many modern people ride electric scooter to commute to work in replace. However, there are in general two groups of people with different opinion towards electric scooters. The first group believes that electric scooter is very valuable for everyday mobility.
Meanwhile, another group believes that electric scooter is not valuable since it only gives an additional headache to them. Are you in the pro team or contra team? Before you choose, it is better to see the pros and cons of electric scooters.
1. Ease of Use – the most benefit of electric scooter is undeniably very easy to use. You just need to charge the scooter and you are done. You can use the electric scooter for numerous outdoor activities such as commute to work, shopping, and more. Even when you choose adults kick scooter, there is no difficulty to encounter. In fact, everyone can definitely ride the scooter even in the first and time and no one will actually need a tutorial for that. That being said that electric scooter is very easy to use and versatile.
2. Economical Option – electric scooter for adults are undoubtedly economical vehicle options. This is because there is no need to fill up the fuel tank. As the name suggests, electric scooter depends on electricity. You just need to charge the electric scooter for a couple of hours. Full charged electric scooter can be used more than 2 hours ride. Also, when riding on electric scooter, you can avoid getting trap in traffic jam. You can also ride the electric scooter to places where cars are not allowed such as parks and other crowded areas.
3. Low Maintenance – similar to bicycles, electric scooter is also considered as a long lasting vehicle. A good quality can last more than 7 years without serious damage under normal use. However, this does not mean that electric scooter does not need maintenance at all. The general maintenance electric scooter needs usually is battery maintenance after a long-cycle of recharges. The operational cost of electric scooter is in general low because there is no need to buy gasoline.
4. Eco-Friendly – since electric scooter runs without fuel or gasoline, it does not produce harmful smoke or emission. This helps to reduce the amount of air pollution if more and more people use electric scooter. Plus, the electric scooter also helps to keep the environment clean with less air pollution.
5. Mobility – electric scooter may benefit adults to commute from home to work without worrying to catch up in traffic jam. But more than commuting, electric scooter is also beneficial for elderly or people with limited mobility. The electric scooter allows them to move independently without disturbing other people for every activity. This can be a great support for elderly people to keep on active and productive using electric scooter.
1. Safety Matter – the main drawback of electric scooter has limited safety feature such as sufficient lamp, brake, and such. That is why it is crucial to always stick to safety feature when riding electric scooters such as helmet, additional lights, and such to prevent accidents. Some additional safety feature may be sold separately but you have no choice other than arm yourself.
If you think you can handle the safety matter, the electric scooter can be a great option for transportation. But if you think it is too dangerous to ride it on the road, you may need to reconsider electric scooter.
For elder people, instead of using two wheels, 3-wheels or 4-wheels scooter may be the best options considering the safety and balance matter for them. But still, that kind of electric scooter also require basic safety feature.
2. Battery Problems – as aforementioned that the electric scooter runs on electricity which means you need to charge it before using it every single time. Once you forget to charge, the chance is you will get stuck in the middle of the road due to low-battery voltage. Another problem with the battery is the chance of overcharging. Sometimes we tend to forget to plug out electronic devices from charging. This also happens with electric scooter, but the risk of overcharging may cause lead-acid batteries. If happens for a long time, it can cause damage to the battery.
3. Resale Value – different from car or motorcycle, electric scooter has low after sale value. You have to be ready when it is very difficult to find buyers who actually want to buy a second-hand scooter. Plus, if the battery is damaged and need replacement, the electric scooter is really close to becoming electronic junk and has no market value.
4. Expensive Price – the after sale of electric scooter is not very good compared to the expensive buying price. An electric scooter n general price is ranging around $500 to $2000. There are indeed cheaper electric scooters, but you are betting on the quality. Plus, electric scooter which comes with charge mileage is more expensive than the average scooter.
5. Time Consuming – if you think of electric scooter for transportation, you need to be prepared with the speed. Electric scooter can only reach 30-40mph which are quite slow if you are going to commute to work. It can be quite difficult to get into the office in time using electric scooter. In addition, the charging time of electric scooter also takes a long time. This means that you cannot just use the scooter right away every time you need.
The electric scooter can be a great transportation option for those who can deal with the drawbacks. But even if you are not, there are other transportation methods you can choose according to your needs.