Updated on May 23rd, 2019
The concept of the electric scooter was basically introduced and designed to improve people’s mobility. Before we talk about pros and cons of electric scooters, you must remember that scooter was originally served as kid’s toy but nowadays many adults take advantage of scooter.
Scroll Down For Top 10 Electric Scooters
If the conventional scooter uses kick style to move, but throughout the years, electric scooter is also invented. Surprisingly, the electric scooter receives huge attention not only from adults but also from weaker and elderly people.
Many modern people ride electric scooter to commute to work in replace. However, there are in general two groups of people with different opinion towards electric scooters. The first group believes that electric scooter is very valuable for everyday mobility.
Meanwhile, another group believes that electric scooter is not valuable since it only gives an additional headache to them. Are you in the pro team or contra team? Before you choose, it is better to see the pros and cons of electric scooters.
1. Ease of Use – the most benefit of electric scooter is undeniably very easy to use. You just need to charge the scooter and you are done. You can use the electric scooter for numerous outdoor activities such as commute to work, shopping, and more. Even when you choose adults kick scooter, there is no difficulty to encounter. In fact, everyone can definitely ride the scooter even in the first and time and no one will actually need a tutorial for that. That being said that electric scooter is very easy to use and versatile.
2. Economical Option – electric scooter for adults are undoubtedly economical vehicle options. This is because there is no need to fill up the fuel tank. As the name suggests, electric scooter depends on electricity. You just need to charge the electric scooter for a couple of hours. Full charged electric scooter can be used more than 2 hours ride. Also, when riding on electric scooter, you can avoid getting trap in traffic jam. You can also ride the electric scooter to places where cars are not allowed such as parks and other crowded areas.
3. Low Maintenance – similar to bicycles, electric scooter is also considered as a long lasting vehicle. A good quality can last more than 7 years without serious damage under normal use. However, this does not mean that electric scooter does not need maintenance at all. The general maintenance electric scooter needs usually is battery maintenance after a long-cycle of recharges. The operational cost of electric scooter is in general low because there is no need to buy gasoline.
4. Eco-Friendly – since electric scooter runs without fuel or gasoline, it does not produce harmful smoke or emission. This helps to reduce the amount of air pollution if more and more people use electric scooter. Plus, the electric scooter also helps to keep the environment clean with less air pollution.
5. Mobility – electric scooter may benefit adults to commute from home to work without worrying to catch up in traffic jam. But more than commuting, electric scooter is also beneficial for elderly or people with limited mobility. The electric scooter allows them to move independently without disturbing other people for every activity. This can be a great support for elderly people to keep on active and productive using electric scooter.
1. Safety Matter – the main drawback of electric scooter has limited safety feature such as sufficient lamp, brake, and such. That is why it is crucial to always stick to safety feature when riding electric scooters such as helmet, additional lights, and such to prevent accidents. Some additional safety feature may be sold separately but you have no choice other than arm yourself.
If you think you can handle the safety matter, the electric scooter can be a great option for transportation. But if you think it is too dangerous to ride it on the road, you may need to reconsider electric scooter.
For elder people, instead of using two wheels, 3-wheels or 4-wheels scooter may be the best options considering the safety and balance matter for them. But still, that kind of electric scooter also require basic safety feature.
2. Battery Problems – as aforementioned that the electric scooter runs on electricity which means you need to charge it before using it every single time. Once you forget to charge, the chance is you will get stuck in the middle of the road due to low-battery voltage.
Another problem with the battery is the chance of overcharging. Sometimes we tend to forget to plug out electronic devices from charging.
This also happens with electric scooter, but the risk of overcharging may cause lead-acid batteries. If happens for a long time, it can cause damage to the battery.
3. Resale Value – different from car or motorcycle, electric scooter has low after sale value. You have to be ready when it is very difficult to find buyers who actually want to buy a second-hand scooter. Plus, if the battery is damaged and need replacement, the electric scooter is really close to becoming electronic junk and has no market value.
4. Expensive Price – the after sale of electric scooter is not very good compared to the expensive buying price. An electric scooter n general price is ranging around $500 to $2000. There are indeed cheaper electric scooters, but you are betting on the quality. Plus, electric scooter which comes with charge mileage is more expensive than the average scooter.
5. Time Consuming – if you think of electric scooter for transportation, you need to be prepared with the speed. Electric scooter can only reach 30-40mph which are quite slow if you are going to commute to work. It can be quite difficult to get into the office in time using electric scooter. In addition, the charging time of electric scooter also takes a long time. This means that you cannot just use the scooter right away every time you need.
The electric scooter can be a great transportation option for those who can deal with the drawbacks. But even if you are not, there are other transportation methods you can choose according to your needs.
Top 10 Electric Scooters
1. Razor E100 Electric Scooter
High torque chain driven motor with twist grip acceleration control allow rider to maintain speed with hand operated brake for speed control, 8 inch pneumatic front tire with 125mm urethane rear wheel for smooth ride, rechargeable 24 volt battery included.
Review: THE STRATEGIST
“I purchased this scooter for my daughter’s eighth birthday, and she LOVES it! She was so excited when she opened it, and now, months later, she continues to want to ride it almost daily. I researched and compared the E100 scooter with the higher-end models (E200 and E300) and finally decided on the E100 due to its much lower price and the fact that I was worried the other models might be too powerful for her. My daughter was able to master riding it immediately, and she has not had any accidents or injuries while enjoying her new ride. Overall, I am very satisfied with the quality and value of the Razor E100 Electric Scooter, and I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking an electric scooter for their favorite 8- to 12-year-old.”
2. Swagtron Swagger Electric Scooter
The personal transportation revolution is here. The Swagger e-scooter boasts a 24v, 3800 mAh, lithium-ion battery that accelerates the 3-speed, 250-watt motor up to 15 MPH with a range of 4 to 15 miles. With the SWAGTRON motorized scooter, you never have to show up sweaty from a bike ride again on your way to school or work again, and instead can just cruise down the street with the wind in your hair and a Swagger beneath your feet.
The Swagger power scooter is more cost-efficient, convenient, and better for the environment than any car, truck, or gas powered vehicle. This affordable scooter features a sleek carbon fiber frame that weighs just 15 lbs. The Swagger also comes with a collapsible frame that folds in one touch making it portable and easy to store. Selecting 1 (powered acceleration off) may improve battery life as manual acceleration helps conserves power
No need to find a parking space when you pull up on your Swagger. Simply fold it up and take it with you to class, work, on the bus, or even a plane because the Swagger is fully TSA compliant! The Swagger is also designed with your safety in mind, and features safety mechanisms such as dual brakes in order to keep you as safe while you swag.
Let the Swagger folding scooter turn your ordinary commute into an extraordinary adventure! Each collapsible scooter is equipped with a digital crystal display that shows speed, distance, and the remaining battery life. Activate the built-in cruise control for longer rides and relax as the front wheel suspension helps you glide down uneven city streets and campus sidewalks. Each scooter also comes with an ultra-bright LED headlight that provides unparalleled visibility and makes everyone aware of your presence. Day or night, Swagger’s got your back!
Join the personal transportation revolution today by purchasing the zero-emission Swagger electric scooter and turn boring errands, morning commutes, and races to class into exciting adventures!
Review: DGIT Daily
It’s hard to disregard Swagtron when we look at electric transportation. The company has slapped a battery and motor on almost every traditional mode possible and scooters are no exception. The Swagtron Swagger is made of ultra-lightweight carbon fiber, and gives you quite a range for the price. The scooter aims for a max speed of 15 miles per hour and has a range of up to 15 miles per charge.
There is some extreme shock absorption built into this unit and the company is aiming to make sure this is going to be an incredibly comfortable ride. There is a spring built into the large front section, which should mitigate bumps quite a lot throughout your ride. There is also a small control panel on the top which will give you access to your battery life and speed, so you can get all your important information at a glance.
3. Razor Power Core E90 Electric Scooter
The Power Core E90 is upping the ante for electric scooters once again, rolling out a ridiculous 80 minutes of continuous ride time and fifty-percent more muscle power. Its innovative hub motor delivers a more efficient, maintenance-free ride, while the steel frame, lighter weight and increased torque take performance to the next level.
With a price tag that’s sure to please riders of all ages, the Razor Power Core E90 adds an easy way to jump headfirst into the electric scooter world without spending a fortune. Offering speeds up to 10 miles per hour on a single charge and 80 minutes of continuous use, the E90 has outstanding battery life for a low, low price. With nearly twice the battery life of more expensive scooters, the E90 also receives bonus points as a zero-maintenance electric scooter with no chains or alignment required during use. The retractable kickstand allows easy on and off for riders of all ages, while the kickstart function requires at least three miles per hour before the motor will kick in. The hand operated front brake is complemented by a push-button throttle.
4. Glion Dolly Foldable Lightweight
A stand-up electric scooter dramatically increases your mobility in crowded, urban environments. Actually enjoy gliding to work with the Glion Adult Li-Ion Battery Dolly-Fold Scooter. Scoot your commute with a patented design that’s energy-efficient and economical, while remaining lightweight and portable.
Reliable, Durable Construction: You need a well-made scooter that’ll stand the test of time. A Glion electric scooter is built to last. Its durable frame is crafted from 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum, and powder coated to resist corrosion.
Want to know the secret to your smooth ride? Try 8-inch tires with a honeycomb interior that the military developed. These are no maintenance tires: they never need air or go flat. Braking is smooth and secure, with an anti-lock electronic brake safely located inside the rear hub motor.
All of your hand controls are water resistant, convenient and easy to use. On the right, a twist-grip accelerator makes it go; on the left, a twist-grip brake makes it stop. An easy-to-read handlebar-mounted battery indicator keeps track of battery life. Anyone can quickly master the simple, elegant Glion Dolly Electric Scooter.
Review: THE STRATEGIST
“Bought this in 2016 and used it to commute to classes on campus pretty much every day. Now I use it to ride through Boston from time to time. Still works perfectly well. I’ve driven this down a steep hill at max speed and still managed to brake to a full stop within seconds. The brakes are as strong as you want to make them. They were a bit harsh at first, but I got used to tuning the strength after a few tries. It works pretty well in the rain, but puddles are a bit slippery and I’ve fallen a few times making sharp turns on wet ground. Completely my fault, this product isn’t meant to support driving through such conditions, but it’s definitely possible if you go slow and don’t drive as recklessly as I do. Extremely portable. I’ve carried it up stairs (it’s only 20-some pounds or so) and in elevators. At the time of purchase, I couldn’t find a single other scooter as portable as this one. It’s definitely a head turner when blazing through a college campus. This scooter is extremely useful, has saved me many hours of time that I would’ve had to spend walking or waiting for shuttles, and is very enjoyable to ride.”
5. Razor E325
Look fly as you ride down your neighborhood block on the Razor E325 Electric Scooter. This electric scooter is coming in hot with speeds up to 15 miles per hour. Its high torque motor is super quiet, chain driven, has twist grip throttle acceleration control, and a hand operated brake. The super sized deck and frame are awesome for riders of all sizes ages 12 and up. The scooter includes a pair of extra wide 10 inch pneumatic tires to ensure your ride feels as smooth as you do on this ultra cool Razor speed machine. You can ride for up to 45 minutes and rejuvenate with the rechargeable battery. Scoot around town on this cool and powerful Razor E325 Electric Scooter.
Review: DIGIT Daily
If you’re more than 15 years old, you’ve got to know Razor. They helped popularize the self-balancing scooter to a level unlike any other brand, and helped bring the travel format to the masses. Now, they’re making electric scooters, and they aren’t only for kids. The Razor R325 can go up to 15 miles per hour and allows for up to 40 minutes of continuous use. When you run out of battery on this thing, it still works great as a normal scooter, so you can always use leg power to finish getting where you need to go. If you’re just looking for something to commute to and from work, this is a great option.
6. Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro Electric Scooter
Cruise the side streets in style with this Euro-style electric scooter from Razor. Featuring a high-performance, chain-driven electric motor and a vintage-inspired body, the Pocket Mod can reach speeds of up to 15 miles per hour–plenty fast enough for a quick trip to the corner store or a fun ride in the country. The scooter also teams a pair of 12-inch pneumatic tires with a rear suspension system to ensure a comfortable ride. Other features include a retractable kickstand, variable-speed acceleration, a padded seat, and a built-in battery that travels for up to 10 miles on a single charge.
Review: THE STRATEGIST
“Bought this for my 7-year-old’s birthday! She was ecstatic! Just as cute in real life as in the picture. She has gotten many great hours of entertainment out of this. The battery life is pretty good and goes just fast enough where she isn’t giving me a heart attack when she rides around the neighbourhood.”
7. Razor EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter
EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter: The Advanced Street Systems by Razor. Designed for true neighborhood transportation. Clean! Green! No gasoline needed! The EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter is fun, and most of all affordable. Reduces pollution and conserve energy with the Metro Scooter! This Electric Scooter combines comfortable, style, and functionality with its ultra padded seat, rear disc braking system, adjustable handlebar rake and seat, detachable luggage rack/rear fender, bamboo deck, and stylish powder coated frame. Using standard bicycle size 16” pneumatic tube tires on spoke wheels makes for easy replacement. Powered by a 500W extra high torque motor and 36-volt electrical system, 7 AH (amp-hour) battery. Just twist and go with the variable speed hand throttle control. Battery weight is also balanced on center line of frame. Travels 18-20 Miles per hour and has a running time up to 60 minutes. Recommended for riders up to 220 lbs. Some assembly required -Tools included.
With its basket and bamboo deck, the Razor EcoSmart Metro Seated Electric Scooter may not look like your go-to choice for speed, but the powerful bike can reach up to 18 to 20 miles per hour, one of the fastest speeds you’ll get while staying within a reasonable price range. And this isn’t your childhood Razor: the scooter has an adjustable padded seat, an adjustable handlebar rake, and 16” pneumatic tube tires on spoke wheels to ensure maximum comfort, while the powder-coated steel frame results in zero emissions. Ideal whether running errands or commuting to work, the scooter can be used continuously for up to 40 minutes before the 36V sealed lead acid battery system needs to be recharged. Vary your speed with the hand throttle controls, powered by a 500W extra high torque motor. The scooter includes a luggage rack and basket that both attach to the back and can be removed depending on your needs.
8. Segway miniLITE — Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter
The Segway is a truly “lite” incarnation of the Segway miniPRO. It’s scaled down – but not watered down. As a hands-free, self-balancing scooter, the miniLITE continues Segway’s tradition of innovating personal transportation. It sports the same large pneumatic tires and top speed capability of the miniPRO, and is fully compatible with the Ninebot-Segway mobile app. It’s ready to take on the urban terrain, indoors and outdoors. Do not attempt your first ride in any area where you might encounter children, pedestrians, pets, vehicles, bicycles, or other obstacles and potential hazards
Review: THE STRATEGIST
“This is the basic/base-model stripped-down Segway. It works exactly like the others but with no fancy options, has a little less range, and supports less weight (175 pounds). The steering bar/knee pads are not height adjustable either, but I knew that going in and am okay with it. Basically, it has customizable taillights and that’s it. I wouldn’t mind a headlamp and/or anti-theft, but it’s not standard on this model and not really a deal killer — I have flashlights if needed. Just get on it and go. Stable and fun to ride, not like all the cheap ‘Hoverboards’ that burst into flames, this is a Segway with Segway tech inside. We bought them to zip around campgrounds while RVing. Great deal for the price if you’re under 175 pounds and just want the basic get-on-and-go functions of a Segway.”
9. NANROBOT D4+High Speed Electric Scooter
Two independent powerful 1000W motors control the front and rear wheels. easily climb >30-degree hill.standard with the front and rear EBS disc brake system， it can brake stably during emergency braking to prevent impact.
If you have a little extra money to spend, the NANROBOT D4 combines power with range, reaching distances of up to 45 miles and speeds of up to 40 miles per hour. Boasting a sleek and unpretentious design, the scooter has a 23 4Ah 52v lithium battery that only requires three hours to become fully charged. Each 10” pneumatic wheel is powered by an independent 1000W motor, and the six shock absorbers mean it can handle a variety of terrains and road condition with reduced shock and slippage. The front and rear braking system results in a smooth ride and offers an emergency brake to keep you safe while driving. While the weight, around 70 pounds, means it’s not the most portable option on the market, it can accommodate a load of up to 330 pounds and is foldable for when you need to store it.
10. Drive Medical 3-Wheel Travel Power Scooter
The Scout transportable scooter combines convenient mobility with superior value in a colorful, customizable exterior. The Scout is compact, lightweight, and easy to disassemble into five manageable pieces, making it ideal for both daily use and travel that requires vehicle transportation. The three-wheel version of the Scout is specially designed for nimbly navigating indoor layouts with ease. A technologically advanced quick connect battery pack and a delta-shaped steering handle make operating the scooter effortless, even with limited strength or dexterity.
This model comes with stylish, interchangeable colour-through panels, in both red and blue, which double as a protective layer against potential scuffs and rim scratches. Troubleshooting steps- Once the recommended action is taken, turn the scooter off and then back on again to clear the flash code. If the problem was not corrected, or another problem exists the controller may display another flash code. Attention – Your scooter may have a diagnostic light on the tiller that will stay on constantly. The light will begin to flash when you have a serviceable item.
Review: THE STRATEGIST
“I bought this for my mother a few weeks ago. I have assembled and disassembled it three times and found that, after the learning curve, I can do so in 30 to 45 seconds. According to specs, the heaviest part is 39 pounds. I test drove it several times to be sure it was suitable for my 86-year-old mother. It goes like a champ, but with the solid wheels, bumps must be taken at a reduced speed. I probably drove about half a mile and all four battery lights remained on. I am very impressed with the scooter and what it does for the price. There are scooters and powered wheelchairs that cost two to three times as much, and I find it hard to believe that they deliver the value that this unit does.