Published on May 13th, 2021
Botox injections are a cosmetic procedure used to help restore younger-looking and glowing skin. They do that by paralyzing the muscles in your face while still keeping them soft to enable the wrinkles and soft lines on your face to soften and relax, using a diluted amount of toxin.
Apart from reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, some of the conditions that Botox injections treat include;
• Lazy eye.
• Neck spasms.
• Chronic migraines.
• Overactive bladder.
• Excessive sweating.
Since Botox injections are non-surgical many people who get them ask if there are any aftercare precautions necessary.
Just like any other cosmetic procedure, Botox injections need some time to sit in your skin for you to receive the best results.
After getting your Botox injections, your New Jersey BOTOX provider will give you some instructions you should follow. They might include;
Going Back To Normal Activities
Since Botox injections are non-invasive, they do not need any downtime for you to heal. That means you can go back to your daily activities right after the surgery. However, you should not engage in any strenuous activities like lifting heavy objects.
Dos And Don’ts
These are ones you should pay keen attention to if you want to get the best results from your Botox injections.
1. Sit up- You should sit up for the first 4 hours after getting the Botox injection. Lying down or bending may spread the toxin to other parts of the body and trigger bruising.
2. Stay make-up-free- After receiving your Botox injections, do not apply makeup to your face for 24 hours. Doing so will disperse the toxin over the skin because of the rubbing, and it may cause bruising.
3. Enquire about medications- There are some medications that, if taken, may increase your chances of bruising from the toxin because they may thin your blood.
1. Don’t touch your face- As tempting as it can be; you should not touch or rub your skin because that spreads the toxin and causes bruising. If you got the injections on any other part of the body, avoid touching that area too.
2. Don’t drink alcohol- After getting the injection, do not take alcohol for the first 24 hours. Alcohol increases your chances of bruising by thinning your blood.
3. Don’t expose your skin to the sun- Ensure that you stay away from the sun for the first 4 hours after you get your injections. The heat promotes flushing and may increase blood pressure, which encourages bruising.
For the best results and to be on the safest side, avoid the sun for the first 24-48 hours. You should also stay away from other heat sources like;
• Hot tubs.
• Hot baths or showers.
• Tanning beds.
4. Don’t sleep on the injected areas- Sleeping on the treated areas increases physical pressure on them, which prevents Botox from settling in your muscles. That minimizes the effects of the injection.
5. Don’t do other skin treatments- Botox needs at least 24 hours to settle into the skin and muscles. Therefore, you should avoid skin treatments such as;
• Exfoliating scrubs.
• Dermal fillers.
• Facial massage.
You should also avoid caffeine, high sugar foods, Niacin, spicy foods, high-sodium foods, refined carbohydrates, and smoking for 24-48 hours after the Botox injections. Those items increase the chances of swelling and bruising.
If you are used to working out, you should avoid it after getting your Botox injections. However, you can engage in light exercises 4 hours after the injections. Some of those exercises include;
• Upright yoga.
You are advised to wait for at least 24 hours before you engage in any strenuous exercises. Your doctor may even recommend you to wait a few days until the Botox fully settles in your muscles. Some of the strenuous activities you should avoid include;
• Long-distance running.
• Yoga positions that require you to bend or lay down.
• Weight lifting.
Some of the reasons why you should not engage in strenuous exercises are;
• It increases pressure on the site of injection- Applying pressure to the injection site causes the toxin to shift, increasing the chances of bruising.
• It increases blood flow- Strenuous activities increase your heartbeat, which in turn increases the blood pressure. That causes the Botox to diffuse away from the injection site into the surrounding muscles, and it could paralyze them.
• Increased blood pressure could also cause swelling and bruising at the site of injection.
• They need too much movement- After getting your Botox injection, you should avoid moving the injection site too much as that could lead to the migration of the Botox into the nearby muscles. That could cause numbing of those muscles plus swelling and bruising of the injection site.
When To See The Doctor
After receiving your Botox injection, you might experience some side effects, including;
• Bumps- You might spot small bumps on the injection site a few minutes after the injection. However, these go away quickly.
• Bruising- Many patients experience a change in the area of injection, including redness and tenderness. However, some patients may also experience bruising.
• Headache- You might be allergic to Botox, which could result in a headache. You could manage those using painkillers, but you should ensure that they don’t have blood-thinning properties because that could lead to bruising.
While these side effects are normal and manageable, some signs should indicate you need to see your doctor immediately. They include;
• Trouble swallowing.
• Muscle weakness, especially in areas that were not injected.
• Poor bladder control.
• Difficulty speaking.
• Changes in your vision or double and blurry vision.
• Difficulty breathing.
• Drooping or swollen eyes.
• Increased pain at the injection site or around it.
• Increased swelling that does not die down.
• Feeling faint and fatigue.
Some of those signs may indicate that you are having a reaction with the Botox, or the Botox has migrated to other muscles in the body.
Botox normally develops after three days to 2 weeks, after which you should start seeing the results. You should visit your doctor after around a week for an examination to determine the success of the Botox and see if there are any complications.
Health Disclaimer :
Information provided by Newszii.com does in no way substitute for qualified medical opinion. Any text, videos or any other material provided by us should be considered as generic information only. Any health related information may vary from person to person, hence we advice you to consult specialists for more information.