Published on November 24th, 2021
If you wish to build a new home or repair your building, the first step is finding a reputable commercial construction company. In Nassau and Suffolk counties, you will find countless contractors.
However, finding the right one can make all the difference when it comes to your building project. You don’t want just any contractor.
You want a contractor with an impeccable reputation. Here are some tips to help you find a reputable commercial construction company.
- Relevant Experience. One of the best indicators that you are dealing with a reputable construction company is past success. If the potential company recently and successfully completed a project similar to yours, there is a good chance that they will do it again. Experience tells you that the contractors have learned how to approach the project and the issues that may arise during the construction process. Make a list of the elements your project will entail and ask the potential company to provide examples of projects they have completed that fit that specification. However, remember that the experience must not be identical to be relevant.
- Licensing. Hiring a licensed contractor is crucial to the success of your building project. Most states demand contractors be licensed after meeting specific minimum requirements. Besides the license, your potential contractor should have an insurance policy and bond. Go online or to your state’s construction licensing department to check the licensing status of your potential company. You can also request your contractor to show proof of their license and insurance certificate. Ensure that the insurance coverage is enough to cover any property damage or injuries that may occur at the site.
- Testimonials and References. Another way to determine whether you are dealing with a reputable company is to see what past clients say about the contractor. Testimonials, referrals, and reviews can give you insight into what it is like to work with that company. Look for indicators like excellent communication, collaborative approach, quality workmanship, and ability to work through issues when they arise.
- Budget. You do not want to work with a company that overcharges you. A company that meets your budget is ideal. However, watch out for contractors whose costs are extremely low. Cheap is not always the best. Look for a company that is willing to work within your budget without compromising on quality. Look at different bids holistically as opposed to the bottom line. If you find one bid that is significantly lower than others, find out why. Such companies may be cutting corners, or they may have missed something. While it can be tempting to choose the cheapest, it could lead to headaches down the line.
- Understanding your Goals. Another essential thing to consider is whether or not the construction company is committed to understanding your goals. Each decision made by you and the contractor will affect the result. As such, you need a contractor that fully understands your goals both in the short-term and long term. Choose a company that will guide you through the process until the completion of your project.
Now you know what to look for the next time you search ‘commercial construction companies near me’ on Google.