March 9th, 2019 | Updated on September 9th, 2022
Staying fit in today’s times is absolutely necessary and a strict workout schedule is absolutely imperative to do so.
However, following one workout throughout makes your body resistant to it and the results stop showing after a point of time. Fortunately, there are many apps in your mobile which give you lessons in fitness and guide you in having a perfect workout schedule.
However, in such a huge plethora of apps, it is tough to find those apps which are providing the best and most useful information to the users.
As a help, we have compiled a list of best workout apps that you can consult. These apps are backed by the guidance and expertise of fitness trainers and experts who know how and what ways you can keep your workout schedule maintained.
Over a period of time, you can work with time and keep your fitness levels high thus being able to stay active and fit for long.
1. Fitbit Coach
Fitbit Coach makes it easy to get and stay in shape with dynamic workouts that continually adjust to your feedback, goals, and capabilities – just like a personal trainer!
- Stick to your fitness goals with bodyweight, run, and walk workouts made just for you.
- Whether you’re home, on the road, or can’t make it to the gym, we ensure you get a great workout, in 7 to 60 minutes, that can be done right from your phone or computer.
- Personalized workout recommendations
- Personalized video workouts show you the moves and provide step-by-step coaching, motivation, and tips.
- Better workout variety
The service provided by the App is good. It offers a decent arrange of coached workout sessions. Audio quality is good and it plays in the background when the phone is locked which is also very convenient. I personally use their stair master workouts and it’s really nice. There are a few things that turn me off about the app however. When going into a session it downloads first.
That’s great except later on when you want to do that workout again it has to re-download. Why not implement a feature where you can download ahead of time and it stores the workout audio/video sessions on the phone much like what other apps do. Another thing is every workout session you go into starts in full screen even if it’s just audio. Why not give us the option to shrink it to use in vertical mode? One last thing it definitely needs is music service integration.
Get the fitness and exercise motivation you need with Sweat, the personal training app featuring Kayla Itsines. Focus on female health and fitness with education from personal trainers.
Trainers Kayla Itsines, Kelsey Wells, Chontel Duncan, Stephanie Sanzo and Sjana Elise Earp join Sweat’s mission to help women live their best life through health and fitness.
- Kayla Itsines’ BBG program includes high-intensity plyometric training using minimal equipment. Kayla’s BBG Stronger is a weights-based program for gym users.
- Kelsey Wells’ post-pregnancy program includes resistance workouts designed to increase core strength and improve posture for mums.
- Kelsey Wells’ PWR weight-training program includes gym-based resistance workouts for women to increase lean muscle and strength.
- Stephanie Sanzo’s build powerbuilding program is perfect for women wanting to improve their lifting performance.
- Chontel Duncan’s fierce strength and high-intensity workouts are ideal for women wanting to lose weight and increase fitness.
- Sjana Earp’s yoga program includes Vinyasa-style resistance and yin-based recovery flows to improve flexibility and posture.
- Complete entire workouts from your watch with no need for a phone.
- See metrics throughout workouts to stay on track.
- Haptic and audio notifications to stay motivated.
- Easily track workouts using the Apple Watch Activity Ring.
- Jump between workouts on your phone and watch.
I love it for the most part. my only issue is the planner is not working right in that it says I completed a workout I didn’t do when the week just started. It’s like it only has four weeks and meshes them together. Other than that I love the workouts.
I have seen improvement in my asthma and steady weight loss. I fell off a few weeks, but I am back at it. The variety of workouts and trainers makes it user-friendly. Also, I love the snippets of how to do exercises and alternatives to them.
3. Nike Training Club
Welcome to Nike Training Club, your Ultimate Personal Trainer. Get fit with 185+ free workouts from strength and endurance to mobility and yoga — featuring our world-class Nike Master Trainers in every drill.
Don’t have two hours a day to get the body you want? Nike Training Club users love our short, body-weight only workouts to get results even when life gets in the way.
- Body-part focused workouts targeting your abs, arms, shoulders, glutes, and legs
- Strength, endurance, yoga, and mobility workouts
- Workout times ranging from 15-45 Minutes
- Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Levels
- Low, Moderate and High Intensity
- Bodyweight only, Light and Full Equipment
- Time-based and Rep-based options
I love this app. I use it for when I don’t feel like going to the gym and doing a home work out. There’s different work outs that caters to what results you want. There’s yoga or sessions dedicated to certain body parts or to gain strength/stamina. It’s completely free and coaches you through the work out.
Zova makes healthy living simple with amazing fitness, nutrition and wellness coaching in one, beautiful app. Join millions feeling happier, healthier and fitter with our award-winning app.
Zova Courses are here to teach you how to live healthy. From mastering a natural detox, to sleep, to digestion, our courses are packed with simple, trustworthy advice that’ll help you master your health, faster than ever.
- Training Intensity on Apple Watch
- 500+ Workout Library
- Stretch & Yoga Library
- Calorie Tracking
- Connect Apple Music & Spotify
- Run & Walk Tracking
- Workout Logging
So I did my research on which workout app I wanted to download and purchase the plan for. After looking at a ton of apps, I went with Zova. I did the Cardio Sweat workout today, and I was very impressed with the layout until i noticed some bugs. So when you do a workout, there’s a video so you can see someone doing the workouts you are supposed to do. Unfortunately, one of the specific moves wouldn’t show up and the screen would be frozen.
It happened every round. And then, in like the second session, it was so lagged the workouts were not in sync with Vix (the apps personal trainer who coaches you). I have excellent WiFi and service so I don’t think it’s me at all. After I did the workout, I did like a stretching session the app has, and that one had zero issues. Just something I think you should be aware of!
5. My Fitness by Jillian Michaels
Sweat daily to the 7-minute workouts or get beachbody ready with unlimited access to My Fitness’ award winning personalized health, fitness, and diet plans, calorie counter, weight loss programs, and our Advanced Meal Planner System (AMP)!
- Select fitness levels
- Swap exercises
- Ban exercises
- Adjust transition times
- Select available equipment
- Play your own music
- Let Beat Sync adjust the beat of your music to the pace of your workout
- Omnivore, Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo & Gluten Free, Pescatarian, 5-Day Jumpstart, Keto Plans
- Filter out ingredients for food allergies or foods you don’t like!
- Grocery lists to check off the items in the app as you shop
- Dynamically adjust recipes for weight loss, maintenance or muscle gain.
- Pick the meals and days to eat on or off plan
- Dynamic recipe adjustment based on number of servings
- Options for batch cooking so you can plan to eat delicious leftovers!
Really love this app! It’s easy to use and you can customize it to your needs and let the app know what workout equipment you have or don’t have , so any more missing out on completing a set because you don’t have those barbells!
6. FitStar Yoga
Practice yoga anytime, anywhere with FitStar Yoga! We’ve teamed up with internationally recognized yoga expert Tara Stiles to provide the perfect experience made just for you. From beginners to expert yogis, you’re always just a tap away from a completely personalized yoga session. Whether you’re traveling, can’t make it to the studio or simply prefer the comfort of your own home, just grab a mat and begin.
For less than the cost of pair of yoga pants, get an entire year of Premium with access to exclusive, customized sessions for losing weight and gaining flexibility, a variety of new workouts added monthly, HD video, connect to some of the most popular devices and apps, and much more.
FitStar Yoga’s dynamic sessions continually personalize the experience based on your feedback, goals, and capabilities — just like a personal yoga instructor! And FitStar constantly brings you new poses to keep things fun, fresh, and fit.
- Dynamic HD video shows you the poses while Strala Yoga founder Tara Stiles provides guidance
- Choose duration and intensity of each session
- Custom audio tracks get you flowing, and streaming music support to keep you moving at your own beat
- AppleTV support puts your workouts on the big screen and the iPhone or iPad becomes a remote control for your workouts
- Track your progress and milestones with achievements, unlocking new poses and badges as you improve
- Connect your Fitbit, Jawbone UP, or MyFitnessPal account to automatically sync your weight and consolidate your fitness activity
- Integrated with Health app to track your calories burned and workouts, contributing to your overall Health dashboard
I’ve had Premium on and off for about a year now. This is my go-to for my yoga practice since I can keep it in my pocket and the routines are always fresh. I use this app at least twice a day and switch between freestyle sessions and the customized sessions every day.
I love the variety in sessions and their difficulty. I haven’t paid much attention to the way the app customizes your routines based on how you rate the individual poses but so far I haven’t had a routine that was too difficult for my level. They’ve all been the perfect amount of challenge and familiarity I like to keep me motivated.
7. Runtastic Sit-Ups Trainer PRO
Work those abs, baby! The Runtastic Sit-Ups app is the ideal companion to put your goals into action. We know you can do this! Your Personal Trainer, aka your iPhone/iPad, helps you stay on track. Get serious and motivated with our app to ensure you reach your goal.
Sit-ups are among the most popular strength exercises when it comes to a flat belly and ripped abs for a reason. They’re highly effective and a big step towards your sixpack. Seize the moment, make the most of your motivation and kick-off your journey to perfect abs!
- Counts completed sit-up repetitions using accelerometer
- Access to Level 1 of the scientifically developed training plan
- Voice Coach for constant feedback
- Personal records
- Upload workout activities to Runtastic.com
- Share your success on Facebook, Twitter or via email
- Integrate Runtastic activities to your MyFitnessPal account
- Collect motivating badges for your performance
- Automatic countdown timer for your rest between exercise sets
- Three levels based on scientifically developed training plan to reach 100 sit-ups
- Set a reminder for your next workout
- Personal records & exercise statistics (i.e. monthly or yearly stats)
- Leaderboard for personal records and overall repetitions: compare to others and see how you rank with your Runtastic friends
The app is good but needs work on. Going up on a sit up doesn’t keep the count till i go down. Sometimes the app counts more then i need and it rushes me during the workout. Should change the option for touching the screen like the push-up app to keep count. I will change my rating later on this app.
8. Zombies, Run
Get ready for the run of your life. Join 5 million runners on an epic adventure!
You tie your shoes, put on your headphones, take your first steps outside. You’ve barely covered 100 yards when you hear them. They must be close. You can hear every guttural breath, every rattling groan – they’re everywhere. Zombies. There’s only one thing you can do: Run!
Zombies, Run! is an ultra-immersive running game and audio adventure, co-created with award-winning novelist Naomi Alderman. Every run becomes a mission where you’re the hero, with our immersive audio drama putting you at the centre of your very own zombie adventure story.
While you run to the perfect mix of heart-pumping audio drama and pulse-pounding songs from your own playlist, you’ll collect supplies to grow your base back home.
- Store and access files from any device
- Share files with anyone, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account
- Get real-time updates on shared files. You’ll know anytime someone makes a change, leaves a comment, or moves your work.
- Turn receipts, whiteboards, and notes into PDFs with doc scanner
Have been using this app for a long time, it’s a great way to work on your fitness goals without feeling bored! The addition of advertising was a little annoying but the legacy subscription was worth the price, a good deal for all the content it offers. I find the outside run tracking is far better then the treadmill option but the developers seem to be trying to improve the gym option.
Thanks to these apps help I will be trying the Zombie race/marathon special event and a regular marathon this year! I would love more special events like the zombie run/call of duty episodes, that was a lot of fun! Overall a great app that has been well developed over time and hopefully will continue to do so! Also, check out their couch to 5k Zombie Run App if like me when you started your “Run” was more of a shamble.
Reach your running goals with the ASICS Runkeeper™ app. Track exercise, set measurable goals and see progress along the way—whether you’re just getting into running, training for a race or trying to PR, we can help.
- Track workouts record activities like running, walking, biking, hiking and more manually or with GPS.
- Set goals maybe you want to get faster, run farther or lose a little weight. No matter your goal, we’ll coach you there.
- Listen to audio choose from six motivating voices that you can customize to relay your pace, distance and time (English only), plus iTunes and Spotify integration.
- Follow a plan routines lead to progress. Choose a personalized plan that will help get you out the door, day after day.
- Stay motivated join in-app challenges, get exercise rewards, participate in virtual running groups and share achievements.
- See progress it’s what this is all about. We’ll log your stats to show you how you’re progressing against your running goals.
- Get more with runkeeper Go™ Upgrade to our premium experience to make progress toward your racing goals, from 5Ks to marathons. Take advantage of race-training plans from the ASICS Institute of Sport Science, detailed progress insights, prescribed workouts and live tracking.
- Apple watch integration leave your phone at home and still track stats.
- Bluetooth connectivity sync up with wireless headphones and heart-rate monitors.
- Fitness tracker integration connect your Garmin, Fitbit and other styles in seconds.
- Partner apps connect with other top health apps like Fitbit, MyFitnessPal and more.
I needed an easy to use the app to keep track of running and cycling stats. GPS works most of the time. It didn’t register at the YMCA though. It can be a little touchy while running.
I bumped it once and it kept repeating the same stats every few seconds. It would probably help to have a pouch or pocket to keep your device in while running. It also lets you put in stats manually.
10. Seven – 7 Minute Workout
Getting fit has never been this easy – or this much fun. Seven’s workouts are based on scientific studies to provide the maximum benefit in the shortest time possible.
With personalized workout plans Seven also makes sure you get the most out of your training. Want to Get Fit, Lose Weight or Get Strong? Just set your goal and fitness level, and let Seven take care of the rest.
- Work out anywhere, anytime, no equipment needed
- Create a habit of working out with our everyday workout challenge
- Compete with friends for extra encouragement and support
- Earn achievements from novice to athlete as you vary your routine
- Create your own workouts tailored to your needs and preferences
- Keep it fun with instructors like the Drill Sergeant, Cheerleader and many more
First off—great premise for an app. However, I’m tired of loading free apps to improve my health only to find out a handful of exercises are free, and even fewer are possible to do if you have serious mobility limitations.
My disabilities also caused me to lose my amazing career, so I’m doing what I can with the money I have to try and stay active. I use this app and then make up my own exercises during the activities I can’t do. But I don’t even know if I’m hurting or harming myself when I feel burning or pain sensations.