Published on July 24th, 2019
Theresa May has made way for a new Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street. The man who has replaced her as Britain’s Prime Minister has courted several controversies during his career in the past.
The world knows him as someone who often makes racist and misogynistic comments against gay people, women, and Africans. Here are the 20 surprising facts about Boris Johnson who once said ‘Voting Tory Will Cause Your Wife To Have Bigger Breasts’.
1. He rose to fame thanks to numerous articles he had written against the European Union, many of which were filled with inaccuracies and exaggerations.
2. His most infamous article is the one he had written in 1991. The article was published by the Telegraph under the title “Italy fails to measure up on condoms”.
3. In March 2019, he sparked fury for making a reckless and inappropriate comment against the child abuse inquiry. He had suggested that child abuse inquiry is actually a waste of money. “Spafford up a wall” is the exact phrase he had used for the inquiry.
4. Those who desperately want to get Britain out of Europe have propelled him to the power.
5. He has promised his supporters that he will secure a better deal with the European Union than his predecessor Theresa May.
6. If he fails to deliver, he will quit his post and leave the country.
7. He is such a divisive figure that a lot of his colleagues, current and former, actually hate him.
8. He worked as the correspondent for the Daily Telegraph.
9. Some believe that he actually never wanted Brexit to happen. In fact, he once wrote a column in The Telegraph championing the Remain cause.
10. He has written a novel Seven-Two Virgins whose protagonist was hounded by scandal.
11. Seven-Two Virgins used despicable phrases for women. Some of these include: “tits out”, “a mega-titted six-footer”, an “unambiguously exuberant bosom”, “like a lingerie model, only cleverer and, if anything, with bigger breasts”.
12. He was fired from his job as a cadet reporter by The Times for making up a quote.
13. He got fired by the Tory as shadow arts minister and party vice-president over allegations about his private life. He was accused of hiding his long-term relationship with Petronella Wyatt. Allegations surfaced that he paid for Wyatt to have an abortion.
14. He once remarked that Muslim women in burqas look like “letterboxes” and “bank robbers”. He had supported the idea of removing the burqa of a female student if it made her look like a bank robber.
15. Black people hate him because he once said that Africans in Commonwealth countries were “the tribal warriors” and “flag-waving piccaninnies” with “watermelon smiles”. His comments against black people came in the backdrop of then British Prime Minister Tony Blair’s international trips.
16. He had received an award for writing the most offensive poem about the Turkish President Erdoğan having sex with a goat.
17. Then a member of the British Parliament, he was forced to apologize in 2016 for linking Papua New Guinea to cannibalism. He wrote in the Telegraph: “For 10 years we in the Tory party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing and so it is with a happy amazement that we watch as the madness engulfs the Labour party”.
18. He had even defended his old friend and long-term colleague Toby Young’s sexist and homophobic remarks. One of Young’s many controversial tweets rated women’s breasts. He had also written against gay people.
19. Young’s controversial articles were published by the Spectator when Johnson was the editor of the Spectator.
20. He once said: ‘Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts