Published on July 19th, 2021
The most popular word processor application today is Microsoft word. This application has existed from the initial days of windows, but it has undergone significant changes over the years, making it a valuable and effective application.
Today, most people use it as the default word processor app to create different documents like letters, invitations, resumes, novels, term papers, and so much more. Users find the hundreds of features it provides handy, but this doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its share of troubles.
The last versions of MS word have been stable, but sometimes the application can stop or shut off without reason.
Most times, people get irritated due to the delays, and things can sometimes get out of hand because one doesn’t know how to fix Microsoft word. In this article, we will introduce all the fixes on Mac word document recovery, no matter you want to recover unsaved Word document on Mac with or without AutoRecovery, or restore lost even retrieve a previous version of Word document on mac in Microsoft Office. Knowing how to troubleshoot the app can make things easier and less stressful.
What Causes MS Word to Freeze Unexpectedly
Several factors can cause the sudden unresponsive nature of Microsoft Word. The main ones include:
- The presence of viruses or bugs on the PC or user’s system corrupts the MS Word files.
- Third-party add-ons and plug-ins could be incompatible, disrupting the normal working of MS word.
- Software and hardware problems may have occurred, causing the Word software to malfunction.
Possible Solutions to Fix an MS Word When It Isn’t Responding
If you find yourself in this situation, it’s recommended that you ensure the Windows and Office software are updated. You may need to remove or update plugins to enable the application to work seamlessly. Also, restarting the computer can sometimes solve the problem. If these quick fixes don’t work, you should consider the following solutions.
1. Try starting MS word in safe mode. When you load the app without add-in and templates, you will determine if the program is working as expected or it’s corrupted.
2. Next, consider disabling the add-ins. The chances are that you have an incompatible add-in that’s forcing the program to freeze.
- Go to File > Options > Add-ins and open the Word option.
- Select the Go button on Manage to open the add-ins dialog box (you’ll find it at the bottom part of the window).
- Then, clear checkboxes on each add-in to ensure all are disabled.
- Choose OK, and the changes you made will apply, then close the box.
In case the error message doesn’t appear, enable the add-ins, one at a go. Restart the program after enabling each add-in to determine the one that’s causing issues.
3. Another solution is to repair the documents if an error keeps appearing whenever you save or open a word file. For instance, if the program fails when you open a particular file, that document could be corrupted. Luckily, you can fix it using a tool within Word.
4. Repairing Word can also fix issues you may be experiencing with the program. Open the setting app and choose the Apps and Features option. Pick MS Office from the application list and select Modify. Follow the procedure to repair the program.
5. If the solutions above don’t work, you should uninstall and reinstall the program. You will require your Microsoft ID and Key for this task. Remove it via the Window settings or download the support tool for uninstalling MS Office to remove it. If you are using a Mac, simply drag the program to the trash and do the reinstallation.