November 15th, 2018 | Updated on November 19th, 2018
With the increasing use of the Internet by children and young people, the family’s challenge is to accompany and guide their children in this process. While representing a great tool for learning, fun, interaction and leisure, the internet can also be dangerous for children and young people. But how can the family guide children to safe and conscientious use? How to perform a healthy monitoring of the accesses, avoiding that these bring risks to their lives?
In order to collaborate with you, we’ve brought some tips to help you better understand and handle this process.
1. Talk to your child and focus on privacy
The most important is the dialogue. We can not always keep a close eye on what the kids are doing on the computer as they get older. Therefore, it is important to maintain a dialogue relationship so that there is openness to talk about the type of behavior and people to be avoided in the networks.
Also, as far as possible, seek to follow the content that he is accessing, be it games, varied applications or, mainly, social networks, which are places where he can interact with other people, often unknown.
However, it is a fact that we can not adopt an alienating behavior, prohibiting the use of the internet by our children and young people, but it is necessary to follow and guide these moments more closely, such as: not posting photos, not revealing any address and personal information , among others.
Anyway, be close to your child when he’s surfing and have free access to scrutinize and inquire to know who he’s talking to and what he’s posting.
2. Use practices that facilitate your monitoring
Some practices collaborate so that the parents can follow more closely the accesses of the children to the Internet. Check out:
- Install the computer in a location where you can check and monitor your activities;
- Have access to all your child’s passwords;
- Check your computer history regularly;
- Ask him what are the environments / sites / social network he likes to access;
- Also see if he has ever encountered any social / site / social network that does not please him.
3. Set limits on the use of devices with internet access
Although children and young people do not like it, it is important to establish internet usage times.
This measure helps children not to exaggerate in navigation, as well as helping them to have more time for other activities. It is noteworthy that some research that has been developed associates the exposure of children to technology for a long time to more anxious behavior.
It is important that parents preferably choose the time of day they will be around so that they can accompany them more easily.
4. Orient your child on some issues
If you find something suspicious in history or search, guide your child and speak clearly about the dangers to which he is exposed by such behavior. If you know actual stories that have happened, you can use them as an example to guide.
Regarding the mailbox, we advise you not to open emails from unknown senders, as they may be spam or viruses. Make it clear to your child that on the internet he also needs to take care of strangers and what he publishes and accesses. Precautions should be quite large, such as occur in real life.
5. Install content filters
Some filters help protect children on the Internet by controlling their access. Here are some of them:
- Norton Family: The program offers tools that protect smartphones and tablets and makes monitoring of time control, social networks, among others;
- K9 Web Protection: is a monitoring filter that allows parents to block websites, apply time restrictions and configure browsers, forcing “Safe Search”;
- MetaCert: has tools that protect children against online pornography;
- Windows Live Protection: it allows the creation of several users in a computer and manage the accesses of each one;
- Zuggi: is a search site for children. It has a childish look and prevents access to inappropriate content.
But there is a better way to monitor almost all of your child’s online activities in one package; using a spy app. There are so many choices on the market, but we advise you to choose applications that have the ability to track GPS location. Spyzie is one of them and with it you can monitor all calls, Facebook conversations, WhatsApp message texts and more.
And you, what do you think of this post on how to protect children on the internet? They are measures that help to allow healthy use of the computer and the Internet, avoiding exposure to hazards.
Then share these tips on your social networks and help your friends with our tips!