Published on September 21st, 2023
There are many reasons reasons exist for establishing a virtual private network (VPN) on your Sony PlayStation devices. Enhanced privacy and anonymity stand as primary motivations, among several others.
Although configuring a VPN on a PlayStation may not be as simple as on a laptop, various methods are available.
This comprehensive guide explores diverse approaches to VPN setup for your PlayStation, providing step-by-step instructions for each method.
What Is A VPN?
A VPN creates a secure and encrypted link between your device and the internet, accomplishing this by concealing your internet protocol (IP) address and substituting it with an alternative one.
The presence of an IP address exposes your approximate physical location and can potentially be exploited to monitor your online actions. While your IP address alone cannot pinpoint your identity, your internet service provider (ISP) can link it to you.
Primarily, VPNs serve the purpose of safeguarding online privacy, though businesses also employ them to facilitate remote network access and enhance network security.
Advantages Of VPN For PS4 And PS5
Utilizing a VPN on your PlayStation 4 (PS4) or PlayStation 5 (PS5) offers several compelling advantages:
Enhanced Security and Anonymity: When you’re accustomed to using a VPN to shield your IP address, it’s only logical to extend that protection to your gaming console. A VPN conceals your IP address, ensuring anonymous gameplay and safeguarding your identity.
Defense Against DDoS Attacks: Gamers occasionally find themselves targeted by disruptive DDoS attacks that can interrupt their gaming experiences.
These malicious attacks flood a target website or server with excessive traffic. In the gaming realm, adversaries may employ DDoS attacks to disrupt opponents’ servers, rendering it challenging to continue playing. By masking the original IP address utilized by hackers, a VPN can shield players from such attacks.
Access to Geo-Restricted Content and Early Releases: Employing a VPN grants you access to gaming content that might be restricted in your geographic area. Furthermore, it enables you to access games released exclusively in specific regions ahead of time.
Read More: 35 Best PS4 Headsets For Gaming On A Budget
PS4 And PS5: VPN Option
Setting up a VPN on your PlayStation differs from the conventional process of installing one on your laptop or mobile device. You cannot directly download VPN software onto your PlayStation. However, there are alternative methods for configuring a VPN.
You have a few viable options:
- Installing a VPN on Your Router: This method allows you to protect all devices connected to your home network, including your PlayStation.
- Connecting Your PS4 or PS5 to a Computer with a VPN: You can route your PlayStation’s internet traffic through a computer that has an active VPN connection.
- Setting Up a VPN for Your PS4 or PS5 via a Mobile App: Some VPN services offer mobile apps that can be used to create a VPN connection on your gaming console.
We’ll guide you through these options and provide step-by-step instructions below.
How To Set Up VPN On PS4 Or PS5 Using A Router
Enabling a VPN on your router offers comprehensive protection for any device connecting to your Wi-Fi network.
It’s arguably the simplest method to establish VPN coverage not only for your PlayStation but for all your internet-connected devices. What adds to its convenience is its constant availability—there’s no need to toggle it on or off.
The process of setting up a VPN on your router can vary depending on the specific router model and your chosen VPN provider.
Many routers support VPN connections, and configuring one can be as straightforward as entering your account information within your router’s Wi-Fi settings.
Additionally, some VPN providers offer routers that come preconfigured with VPN settings. If you prefer a manual setup, your VPN provider’s website is an invaluable resource.
Furthermore, most VPN providers offer technical support to assist you throughout the process.
How To Set Up VPN on PS4 or PS5 Using A MAC
You can enable a VPN on your Mac and extend its protection to your PlayStation by connecting them using an Ethernet cable. Here’s how to set up this configuration:
- Install the VPN on your Mac: This process is generally straightforward. After subscribing to a VPN service, you’ll receive instructions from your VPN provider on how to set it up. If you need detailed guidance, refer to our comprehensive VPN setup guide.
- Connect your Ethernet cable: Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into your computer and the other end into your PS4.
- Configure Internet Sharing on your Mac: a. Navigate to “System Preferences” on your Mac. b. Select “Sharing.” c. Click on “Internet Sharing.” d. Ensure that “Share your connection from” is set to “Wi-Fi.” e. Under “To computers using,” choose “Ethernet.” f. Confirm the changes by verifying that the light next to “Internet Sharing” is green.
- Activate the VPN on your Mac: Return to your VPN application on your Mac and ensure that it’s connected.
- Configure Internet Connection on your PS4: a. On your PS4, access “Settings.” b. Navigate to “Network Settings” and choose “Set up Internet Connection.” c. Select “Use a LAN cable” to establish the PS4’s internet connection through Ethernet and maintain the VPN connection. d. When prompted, select “Do not use a Proxy server.”
With these steps, your Mac will act as a gateway, allowing your PS4 to access the internet through the VPN-protected connection.
Read More: Top 20 Best PS4 Headsets
How To Set Up VPN On PS4 Or PS5 Using Windows
Connecting your VPN through Windows follows a similar process, involving the use of an Ethernet cable once you’ve configured the VPN on your Windows system. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Install the VPN on your Windows:
- Begin by installing the VPN on your Windows device. This process is typically straightforward, with the VPN provider guiding you through a series of setup prompts after you sign up for their service.
- Connect the Ethernet cable:
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into your computer and the other end into your PlayStation.
- Configure Network Settings on Windows:
- Go to “Control Panel” on your Windows device.
- Select “Network and Internet,” then “Network Connections,” and finally “Change adapter options.”
- Locate the Ethernet icon, right-click it, and choose “Properties.”
- Check the box labeled “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Under “Home networking connection,” select “Ethernet.”
- Set Up Internet Connection on Your PS4:
- On your PS4, navigate to “Settings.”
- Access “Network Settings” and choose “Set up Internet Connection.”
- Select “Use a LAN cable” to ensure the PS4’s internet connection is established via Ethernet, connecting you to the VPN. For PS5, this setup will be automatic when you select “Set up Internet Connection.”
How To Set Up VPN On PS4 Or PS5 Using A Mobile App
When connecting to a VPN using a mobile app, it’s essential to ensure that your VPN service supports sharing.
With these steps, your Windows device acts as a bridge, allowing your PlayStation to access the internet through a VPN-secured connection.
Connect Your Phone To The Wi-Fi Router
Here are the steps to connect your PlayStation to a VPN using the “Every Proxy” application:
- **Ensure your PlayStation is on the same network as your router, either via LAN cable or Wi-Fi.
- Download and Install “Every Proxy” Application:
- Download and install the “Every Proxy” application on your mobile device.
- Configure “Every Proxy” Application:
- Launch the “Every Proxy” app.
- Select the same IP address used for both your mobile device and your PlayStation.
- Configure PlayStation Wi-Fi Connection Settings:
- On your PlayStation console, navigate to the network settings.
- Choose “Manual” settings for the Wi-Fi connection.
- Under the “Proxy Server” option, select “Use.”
- Enter the host IP address and port number provided by the “Every Proxy” application.
- Once the connection is successfully established, your PlayStation will be connected through the VPN.
- Verify VPN Connection:
- To confirm that your PS4 or PS5 is connected to the VPN, type “What is my IP address” in the console’s search or browser function.
- Ensure that the displayed IP address matches the IP address associated with your VPN.
These steps will help you connect your PlayStation to a VPN using the “Every Proxy” application and confirm that your device is securely connected through the VPN.
You have multiple methods available for configuring a VPN on your PlayStation. One of the most straightforward options is installing a VPN on your router, ensuring that all devices connected to your Wi-Fi are consistently protected by the VPN.
Alternatively, you can connect your PlayStation to a computer with an active VPN connection or utilize a mobile app for this purpose. While each of these options requires a few steps, they are all manageable.
Once your PlayStation is VPN-enabled, you’ll enjoy enhanced security, anonymity, and the potential to access games from different regions.
Feature Image Source: JÉSHOOTS