November 27th, 2019 | Updated on August 8th, 2020
Many dangers are lurking for you on the website. Some of them are so sneaky that you download them without even knowing about it. One nice example of such a program is the Amazon assistant virus.
Although these programs are not always harmful, you should remove them from your computer as soon as possible, especially if you keep important data or make online transactions.
If you’re not sure how dangerous this malware is and if it’s worth to remove the amazon assistant virus you should know that it brings multiple threats to your computer. The most severe one is changing the system’s registry keys.
Those changes might weaken computer protection and therefore make it vulnerable to malicious malware.
Keeping the amazon assistant virus on your computer will extract your data from browsing history. This kind of information is precious to internet marketing companies, and they are likely to buy it.
Amazon assistant malware brings one more threat. It often displays fake browser warnings and deceitful offers. Clicking on them will redirect to risky and dangerous websites. If you want to know how to remove amazon assistant virus follow these steps:
- Use the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC shortcut and open Processes Tab. Determine which process is dangerous. Open their file location, by right-clicking on them. Scan these files with a virus scanner. End infected processes and delete their folders.
- Press the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl and press OK.
- Now you’re in the Control Panel. Now type MSConfig in the search field and hit enter. When window pops-up uncheck entries that are suspicious or have “unknown” as a manufacturer. Uninstall amazon assistant and every suspicious entry.
- Press Start Key and R and paste the following: notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts. If you’re hacked there will be several IPs except yours.
- Go to the start menu and look for Network Connections. Right-click on the Network Adapter then choose Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (ICP/IP) and click on Properties. DNS line should Obtain DNS server automatically. In case it’s not, choose it yourself. Open Advanced, then DNS tab. Delete everything from there.
- From now the virus is gone from the browser. However, proceed with the next step or else the virus might reappear. So right-click on browser shortcut and choose Properties. Go to Shortcut tab and in Target delete everything after .exe.
- Go to C:/Users/Your User Name/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data. Rename the Default folder to Backup Default and restart Chrome.
- Open Windows search and type Regedit. When you’re there press CTRL + F and type the threats Name. Delete any entries that have similar names.
Congratulations! The virus should be gone from your computer. If amazon assistant keeps popping up in the future you’ll know how to delete it.