Published on November 8th, 2017
The Big Apple in miniature: Tilt-Shift photo techniques create a dazzling bird’s-eye perspective and transform New York City life into a swirling ant-hill of miniature people. New York reduced to a miniature city? In New York Resized, photographer Jasper Léonard offers you a completely new perspective on The Big Apple.
Scroll Down For The Video
His Tilt-Shift technique creates a dazzling bird’s-eye perspective. Taking pictures from rooftops, helicopters or even drones, Léonard points his lens at the skyscrapers and yellow cabs from above, transforming the city into a swirling ant-hill of miniature people.
You May Also Like 25 Most High-Tech Cities In The World
It’s New York as you’ve never seen it before – looking tiny. These photographs, by Jasper Leonard, appear to have reduced the Big Apple to a miniature city.
The photographer, from Antwerp, Belgium, said that ‘looking out over New York was a breath-taking experience’. The best of the photographs that he took on his trip will appear in a new book, New York Resized, published by Lannoo Publishers.
1. These photographs, by Jasper Leonard, appear to have reduced the Big Apple to a miniature city
2. The effect – a dazzling bird’s-eye perspective – is thanks to a photographic technique called ‘tilt shift’
3. Leonard used a tilt-shift technique to transform Manhattan into a swirling ant-hill of miniature people after taking pictures over 20 days from rooftops, helicopters and drones
4. Leonard, from Antwerp, Belgium, said that ‘looking out over New York was a breath-taking experience’
5. The best of Leonard’s photographs that he took on his trip will appear in a new book, New York Resized , published by Lannoo Publishers
6. In 2016 Leonard released his first and second photo book Antwerp Resized and Belgium Resized
7. New York’s intense clusters of skyscrapers look especially mesmerising thanks to Leonard’s trickery
8. A lone boat crosses the Hudson in another dazzling photograph by Leonard
9. Leonard was awarded a Master in Visual Arts at Antwerp’s Sint Lucas college in 2010
10. Leonard said that he took 13,000 pictures altogether during his odyssey to the Big Apple
You May Also Like Top 60 Dreamy Travel Destinations You Can’t Miss In 2017
11. The tilt-shift technique, Leonard explains, makes natural scenes suddenly seem orchestrated
12. Leonard stresses that not a single image was faked, that he ‘just let the city run its course and I documented it’
13. Leonard’s book contains quotes about New York from the likes of Ayn Rand and Alistair Cooke
14. A grocery store is given the fascinating tilt-shift treatment by Leonard
15. New Yorkers relax in the sunshine, but you’d be forgiven for thinking that they’re all models
You May Also Like 30 Most Beautiful Places On Earth That Will Give You Goose Bumps
16. Leonard’s new book contains fascinating pictures and thought-provoking quotes about New York
The Making of movie of how “New York resized” the photo book was created