Published on July 8th, 2019
Maybe you have heard of the ESTA travel authorization system that simplifies administrative procedures for visitors to the USA? Here you can read about the situations that require this type of travel authorization and the procedure to follow to obtain it.
The Electronic System for Travel Authorisation or ESTA was implemented a few years ago in order to facilitate the administrative procedures for visitors to the United States. But in which situations do you need to complete the online ESTA application and how do you obtain this travel authorisation to visit or transit through the United States? This is what you can learn about here in detail with our explanations of this system and its function.
The Types Of Visits Eligible For An ESTA Authorisation:
The ESTA authorization basically replaces the traditional visa for certain visitors to the USA under certain conditions. It actually enables visitors to avoid the generally long and complex visa application procedure through an embassy or consulate for certain types of visits. These visits are notably for less than 90 days and for certain reasons (business or tourism) although other conditions apply.
In fact, in the case of a stopover in the United States, or even if the final destination of your journey is not the United States, you will still need to complete an ESTA application. Without this travel authorisation you will not be able to board your airplane or ship destined for the United States, even for a short visit.
Of Course, There Are Other Conditions To Fulfill To Benefit From This Simplified Travel Authorization But Here Are The Major Conditions:
- Firstly it is imperative that you are a permanent resident of one of the member countries of the ESTA programme such as the United Kingdom, this means that you should be a permanent legal resident of that country.
- You should also possess a valid electronic or biometric passport of which the validity should cover your departure date for the USA.
- Finally, you should of course obtain the agreement of the American immigration authorities by fulfilling certain personal criteria which will be determined by the answers you provide on your application form.
If your visit is for more than 90 days or you are a citizen of a country that is not a member of this scheme then you will still need a valid passport and fulfil the required conditions of morality to complete a visa application through the American Embassy or consulate in your home country.
How To Complete An ESTA Application In A Few Simple Steps:
To Obtain An ESTA Travel Authorisation For The USA You Will Simply Need To Follow These Steps:
- Ensure you have your passport and credit or debit card close to hand.
- Access an ESTA application form online.
- Complete the application form honestly and clearly.
- Pay the processing and transfer costs and fees for your application using a credit or debit card.
Then you simply need to wait for the response from the American immigration authorities that will be sent to you at the email address you have given within a maximum period of 72 hours. If your application is approved you then have nothing more to do apart from presenting yourself at the appropriate airline counter on your departure date with your valid passport.