Published on July 13th, 2022
Disposable vapes might be the most convenient vaping devices on the market, but that doesn’t mean they’re perfect.
There are several reasons, in fact, why you might want to switch to a refillable vaping device if you’ve been using disposable vapes for a while and no longer rely on cigarettes or other tobacco products in order to get your nicotine fix.
Switching from disposable vapes to a refillable device, however, isn’t really something that you just do – it requires a bit of planning, and this article is going to help you through that process.
Switching to a refillable device involves choosing the device itself along with the e-liquid you’re going to use. There are plenty of choices available, and it’s easy to choose a product that’s not ideal for your needs if you aren’t careful. Let’s make sure that doesn’t happen.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll show you how to switch from disposable vapes to a refillable device.
Know Why You’re Switching
The first thing that you’ll need to do is make sure that you fully understand your motivations for switching to a refillable vaping device.
Disposable vapes are affordable and convenient – so why would you want to use anything else? These are the three main benefits of switching to a refillable vaping device.
- It’s better for the environment. A disposable vape includes a lithium-ion battery, which is hazardous waste due to the risks of fire and groundwater contamination. Unfortunately, few recycling centers will accept disposable vapes – so that leaves most people at a loss when trying to figure out how to dispose of them safely. Refillable vaping devices generate significantly less waste.
- It costs less. Although today’s disposable vapes are very affordable, it still costs less to buy your e-liquid by the bottle.
- It gives you more flavor choices. While it’s true that today’s disposable vapes are available in many different flavors, you’ll have a much bigger selection if you buy bottled e-liquid.
Evaluate Your Current Vaping Experience
Before you buy your first refillable device, you need to evaluate your current vaping experience and determine what you might like to change about it.
Are you happy with your experience as it currently is? In that case, you’ll probably want to buy a refillable device that mimics the experience of using a disposable vape as closely as possible.
If you want bigger clouds, though, you’ll need to buy a more powerful device – and in that case, it’ll be necessary to lower the nicotine strength of your e-liquid to compensate for your new device’s increased cloud production.
It’s important for you to set your expectations appropriately before you begin.
Choose Your New Vaping Device
Before you can switch from disposable vapes to a refillable device, you’ll need to choose the type of device that you want. Each type has its own benefits, and we’ll discuss those next.
These are the three types of vapes that are most likely to appeal to you as you make the switch from disposable vapes to a refillable device.
- Small Pod Systems: A small pod system is typically a long and narrow device that looks a bit like a USB thumb drive – somewhat like the disposable vapes you’re using now. This is the type of device that you should buy if you want the same type of high-nicotine experience you’re currently getting with disposable devices.
- Large Pod Systems (Pod Mods): Compared to a small pod system, a pod mod is slightly larger and offers longer battery life and bigger vapor clouds as a result. A pod mod might be a good choice for you if you want to upgrade to a more capable device but also want to continue using nicotine salt e-liquid.
- Vape Mods: Vape mods are the largest and most powerful vaping devices on the market, and this is the type of vape that you want to choose if you’re looking for something that can produce enormous clouds. To get those clouds, though, you’ll need to switch from the mouth-to-lung inhaling pattern you currently use to a direct-to-lung inhaling style. Many long-term vapers actually prefer the direct-to-lung inhaling style, however, even though it feels a bit different at first.
Choose Your First Bottled E-Liquid
Switching to a refillable vaping device means that you’re going to begin choosing your own e-liquid instead of having it chosen for you by the manufacturer of your vaping hardware.
Choosing your flavor is the easy part. Although there are many hundreds of vape juice flavors on the market today, it won’t take you long to identify a few favorites. The more difficult part is choosing the correct nicotine strength and type for your needs.
If you’re going for an experience that tastes and feels the same as using a disposable vape, you’ll want to go with something like Pod Juice vape juice, which is available in similar flavors and nicotine strengths.
The Pod Juice brand is available in two nicotine strengths: 35 and 55 mg. If you buy a small pod system, you’ll probably have the best experience with the higher strength. The lower strength is appropriate for most larger pod systems.
Because vape mods can produce enormous vapor clouds, buying a mod will mean that you’ll have the best possible experience with an e-liquid that has a low nicotine strength. The most common nicotine strengths for vape mods are 3 and 6 mg.
Switch To Your New Refillable Vape
Once you’ve identified which type of vape and which e-liquid you’re going to use, the final step is to make the jump to the new device.
If you’re using a small pod system and a high-strength e-liquid, it’ll be easy because your experience will be much the same in terms of flavor and satisfaction.
If you’re reducing the nicotine strength of your e-liquid, you may find that you feel a little different at first when using your new device.
Every time you switch to a new vaping device that produces bigger clouds, you need to lower the nicotine strength of your e-liquid to compensate.
Your overall level of satisfaction should remain about the same – but if you’re going from high-nicotine disposable vapes all the way down to a low nicotine strength like 3 mg, there’s going to be a period of adjustment before the new nicotine strength feels completely normal to you.
During that time, you should avoid the temptation to continue using disposable vapes while you adjust to the lower nicotine strength because doing so could cause you to consume more nicotine than you should.
Use your new device exclusively – and use it as often as is necessary. Within a few days, you’ll feel completely normal.
Image Source: Unsplash.com