Published on February 24th, 2022
Egypt is an incredible travel destination, offering a perfect mix of history, rich local culture, sun and sea. Famed for its historical landmarks, such as the Great Pyramids of Giza, Egypt is a popular choice for a lot of British tourists.
In 2019, close to half a million British tourists travelled to the country. Whether you’re opting for an inclusive holiday package or planning out the trip yourself, there are still lots of things you need to be aware of before booking.
In this article, you’ll be able to find top travelling tips for Egypt, including details on what to pack, what you won’t want to miss and whether or not you need a visa.
If you want to make sure you have the perfect holiday and come away with lots of happy memories, this guide is for you. Read on to discover everything you need to know before visiting Egypt from the UK.
Is A Visa Required To Visit Egypt?
If you’re travelling to Egypt from the UK, you will need to make sure you have a visa. Luckily, the visa process isn’t particularly complicated. You can find all the details on the Egypt visa here before booking your holiday.
Some countries do allow you to get a visa on arrival, but if you’re travelling from the UK, you will have to book in advance to ensure you can enter the country without issues.
There are two main types of visas available, single entry and multiple entry visas. Depending on how you plan to travel around the country, you may need to choose one over the other.
However, the single entry visa will be suitable for most visits to the country. Both will give you up to thirty days in the country and can be renewed.
The Best Time To Visit Egypt
Egypt is a north African country with a climate that is very hot and dry for a lot of the year. If you want to avoid scorching temperatures, the best time to visit the country is during the cooler months of November through to March.
However, haze can be an issue in the morning during the winter months, so if you want to get good pictures of outdoor sites, you’ll need to consider this.
Which Sites You Should Visit In Egypt
Egypt contains some of the oldest and most interesting things to see in the world. The pyramids of Giza are an obvious choice for most travelers, but there are plenty of other places to see too. Here are some of the best and often overlooked sites to see:
- The City of Alexandria
- The Egyptian Museum in Old Cairo
- The Temple of Luxor
- The resorts of Hurghada
- Abu Simbel Temple
Things To Be Aware Of When Visiting Egypt
There are a few other things you’ll need to know when visiting Egypt. Here are a few things to look out for and bear in mind when planning your trip:
- You shouldn’t drink tap water here – The tap water in Egypt can cause stomach issues if you’re not used to it. It’s best to drink bottled water, and you should also avoid ice or foods that have been washed in tap water.
- Tipping is expected – While tipping is always optional, it’s usually expected, especially when someone provides a service.
- Cash is important – In most places, activities and bills are paid in cash using the Egyptian pound. There are ATMs in most popular areas, but cards are rarely accepted for paying.
- You may need a photography pass in some areas – Some historical areas, such as the Valley of the Kings, require you to purchase a photography pass if you’re using a camera. Taking pictures using your mobile is fine, but other cameras may not be allowed without a pass.