August 30th, 2021 | Updated on May 19th, 2022
If you are a freelancer who works online, then there are a few basic tips that you should be aware of, to maximize your potential, keep you safe online and help you to develop your freelancing business.
Similarly, if you are just starting out as a freelancer, then these words of advice will be useful to you, too.
There’s nothing worse than stepping out into the unknown with no experience to guide you, so these tips should help shed light on a few factors that you should be aware of if you want to work as a freelancer online.
What You Need To Know If You Are A Freelancer Working Online
You Need To Stay Protected, Even When Using Secure Platforms
The number one factor you need to keep in mind if you work online is how to stay safe and keep your work data secure at all times. Storing all your client project work on your device is a recipe for disaster, especially if you haven’t backed it up elsewhere.
This is because if your laptop or phone suddenly broke, was lost or was hacked, you would lose all your work, your clients’ sensitive data and hours of your time.
Instead, you need to find a secure storage solution. Cloud storage is arguably the safest option, as well as being the most flexible to your working needs.
If you work on multiple devices then you can log in and work on the files from any of them, anywhere, which is useful if you travel regularly.
Of course, although cloud computing is extremely safe, you should still keep on top of your cloud security. You may have to give out your account password to a client or colleague, or else you could be hacked by someone who cracks your password.
This is why a Cloud Access Security Broker can be so useful, allowing you to monitor your account access at all times. Click here to find out more.
You Need To Keep Enough Clients On The Backburner In Order To Have A Steady Income Stream
Another tip if you are freelancing online is to maintain enough clients on the backburner in order to keep your income consistent.
There is nothing worse than having a feast or famine income stream, because you are unable to plan for the future or guarantee that you can pay off loans, contracts or rental agreements in the future.
Therefore, keep searching for clients even when you are fully booked, in order to have backup work when you need it.
As A Freelancer, You Are Your Own Personal Brand
An important point to bear in mind as a freelancer is that you are your own personal brand. This means that you don’t have a larger company brand hiding who you are, because you work by yourself.
Therefore, own your own personal brand by using your own unique personality to sell your services as well as become a thought leader within your industry.
By owning your own personal brand, you will stand out from the crowd and be more likely land more clients as a result.
Relevant Resources On Freelancer and Career
If this blog interested you, check out the following articles on Freelancer and career:
- Top 10 Tools You Should Be Using As A Freelancer
- 11 Freelance Jobs To Enjoy While Studying At University
- 10 Facts About “Going Gig” Lifestyle Of A Freelancer
- How To Start A Freelance Writing Career
- 16 Websites To Make Money Online As A Freelancer
- How To Write A Winning Job Offer To Attract Top Freelancers
- 25 Best Online Job Sites For Freelancers To Make Money From Home!
- How To Make Money Online As A Freelancer
- Virtual Assistant Jobs For Beginners: Things You Must Know
- 15 Gig Economy Apps/Websites That Allow You To Make Money Without Being In A Traditional Job
- 5 Top Tips For Working Remotely
- Professional Skill Training And Its Importance
- Remote Work Tips While Traveling
- The Biggest Problems With Working From Home
- 4 Work From Home Jobs That Are Well Paid