May 7th, 2020 | Updated on June 27th, 2022
Turmeric, an exotic plant found in Asia and Central America and gives numerous benefits to boast about. Giving the curry yellow color the plant is regularly also used in medicines.
However, it is its versatile combination with black pepper that is truly converting it into a miracle item of sorts. Read on with us to know why turmeric and black pepper are such an enviable combination.
Ingredients present in both Turmeric and black pepper help them in being great anti-oxidants. Turmeric has curcuminoids which boost your overall health.
Being a strong anti-oxidant it also has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
On the other hand, black pepper has piperine which is a bioactive compound and improves digestion, along with tackling nausea and headaches.
Absorption Of Curcumin
However, a big issue is that Curcumin gets absorbed with difficulties. But, if it is consumed along with Black Pepper, the piperine present aids in its absorption process.
In fact, researches have proved that combination of the two boosts absorption in the bloodstream by nearly 2000%.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric And Black Pepper Together
Both turmeric and black pepper are known to have anti-inflammatory properties.
Also, turmeric is beneficial in arthritis treatment as it reduces joint inflammation and pain experienced.
Piperine present in Black Pepper too can desensitize a particular pain receptor present in the body thus reducing the discomfort caused by Arthritis.
Cancerous growth and spread always happen at the molecular level. Curcumin not only reduces their growth but can also cause the death of such cells.
Along with Piperine, it can also inhibit the self-renewal of breast cells. This can help in keeping the initiation of breast cancer under control.
Earlier Turmeric was being used to improve the digestion by reducing gut spasms and flatulence.
However, Piperine contributes too by enhancing the activity of the digestive enzymes. This leads to the digestion process being completed smoothly.
There is no set limit to which you may consume both the items. turmeric and black pepper are safe items and can be taken in any quantities.
However, some people have shown symptoms like nausea, skin rashes, and headaches when they consumed turmeric so it is advisable to control the dosage as per the recommendations.
Indians love consuming turmeric and black pepper are taken with tea along with other ingredients like honey, ginger, and Olive oil.
Though it is always wise to take both the items in the form of supplements especially if you have never consumed them before.
- Antioxidants: Beyond the Hype (Harvard School of Public Health)
- Antioxidants: In Depth From the National Institutes of Health (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- Antioxidants: Protecting Healthy Cells (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Antioxidants: What You Need to Know (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Antioxidants and Cancer Prevention From the National Institutes of Health (National Cancer Institute)
- Coenzyme Q10 (PDQ) From the National Institutes of Health (National Cancer Institute)
- Grape Juice: Same Heart Benefits as Wine? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Red Wine and Resveratrol: Good for Your Heart? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)