September 24th, 2021 | Updated on February 15th, 2022
World Tourism Day falls on 27th September every year. Traveling around the world helps a person forget his sufferings, relax and achieve mental growth.
Tourism in this way is a huge income generator for any country. With the countries collaborating on efforts to boost tourism, it has now achieved a totally new perspective.
Tourism For Inclusive Growth
COVID-19 had a significant social and economic impact on the tourism industry as well. This problem has affected both developing and developed nations alike. Once Tourism restarts, the path to recovery and growth becomes easy to attain. The benefits accompanying the expansion of tourism must be enjoyed by everyone all over the world.
Therefore the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has decided to designate World Tourism Day 2021 as a day to focus on “Tourism for Inclusive Growth.”
This year the celebration is going to be hosted by Cote d’Ivoire. The event will celebrate tourism’s attempts to increase inclusive development and the crucial impact it has in promoting respect and creating job opportunities for many people all over.
History Of World Tourism Day
It was in 1980 that United Nations World Tourism Organization decided to celebrate 27th September as World Tourism Day. In 1970 UNWTO had agreed on the promotion of three of its tourism-related resolutions. These resolutions proved to be the breakthrough that would transform the global tourism industry completely.
The central idea behind the passing of the resolutions was to get the tourism industry recognition in terms of the impact it has on a country’s cultural, political, economic, socio-lingual, and financial factors. Celebrations, therefore, are organized by the nomination of host states or destination countries every year. Along with the UNWTO has also started a nomination scheme that focuses on the overall geographical lineage.
Importance Of World Tourism Day
World Tourism is a day that promotes tourism avidly. Here are some benefits of Tourism.
- Employment: Tourism offers plenty of Tourism opportunities to hotels, resorts, tourist agents, and transport agencies. Many hotel staff, drivers, restaurant staff, etc., will not be employed if the tourism industry tanks.
- Economic development: Tourism also adds to the economic development of any place. Apart from hotels and restaurants, even local residents earn money. This money they get either through the tourists or through the hotels where these tourists stay. Some of the tourists also purchase local goods to take back. This way, tourism is effective not only for the local section bur in improving the growth of GDP in national economies.
- Social advantages: Tourists travel to any place just to enjoy its heritage and culture. It, therefore, encourages the local people to maintain the heritage and culture of their location.
- Environmental Advantages: People visit some places just for the cool weather and environment, so Tourism gives the motivation to maintain the environment just for these visitors.
World Tourism Organization
World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is a UN international agency that operates in the Tourism industry. It aims to promote tourism as economic growth and environmental sustainability cursor. It also offers support and leadership to the sector in spreading the knowledge of tourism policies everywhere.
World Tourism Day Quotes
1. “Travelling tends to magnify all human emotions.” – Peter Hoeg
2. “Time flies. It’s up to you to be the navigator.” – Robert Orben
3. “Travel expands the mind and fills the gap.” – Sheda Savage
4. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
5. “The journey is the destination.” – Dan Eldon
6. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination with reality, and instead of thinking of how things may be, see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson
7. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ― Gustave Flaubert
8. “I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything.”― Bill Bryson
9. “Still round the corner, there may wait, a new road or a secret gate.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
10. “This is your planet. You really should come see it sometime.” – G Adventures
11. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote: To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
12. “‘I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. You live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen non-percent of.” – Louis C.K.