September 10th, 2019 | Updated on June 28th, 2022
Why make your resume creative at all?
This Approach Has Many Disadvantages:
- Not all employers understand this.
- It takes time to search for ideas and develop.
- It takes time (and possibly money) for a subsequent PR on the Internet.
- Many worries: would they consider you cool and non-standard or, on the contrary, would take you for a frivolous fool?
- It is not suitable for all specialties.
But There Are Pluses:
- The main advantage is the elimination of companies that are not suitable for you. If people didn’t like the manner of your presentation, humour and they consider it like “oh my God this is unacceptable!”, then you’ll hardly work with them. Thus, even before the interview with you, dull companies are eliminated and save your time. Therefore, when writing a creative resume, I recommend being yourself and not be afraid to add some meme or a couple of ridiculous pictures, if they do not understand your, it means they are not your cup of tea.
- If you have little experience and you need somehow stand out among a bunch of the same “specialists”, then this is the best option.
- It increases coverage. If your resume is lit up at least a little in a professional environment, then the proposals would go in heaps (including stupid ones) and you would choose the best. It is much more pleasant.
- New acquaintances in a professional environment.
- The employers always give their preference to brighter people, everyone wants to work with interesting and cheerful people.
- Often, employees also look through your resume, so the team’s attitude is initially more friendly.
- This is damn fun! In addition, this is one of the few things that you could do completely as you see it.
Below you can read some advice from ResumeGet professionals on How to make your resume creative
- Regarding the creative itself, of course, it is difficult to give any practical advices. See as many examples as you can and get inspired.
- Humor is very desirable, the resume should be funny and interesting. Well, if it’s some kind of professional humor. But just do not overdo it, humor can occupy no more than 10-20% of all information.
- To make the resume viral, remember to make it a bit provocative. For example, I specifically wrote that I quit my previous job and flew off to India to rest for a month and a half, because I wanted emotions from the reader. Of course, this reduces the chances to find a job in general, but it increases the chances to find a cool company.
- Well, the last advice do not really listen to friends and mom. Listen only to yourself, because you sell exactly yourself, not them. In addition, they are not the target audience of your resume. Always keep in mind the image of the person for whom you are creating a resume, imagine his thoughts when viewing your resume. Just imagine that you are a bit of a telepath. The reader should have a clear feeling that your goal is not to “get a job”, but “work in his company, work with him”.
A resume in English looks more stylish. If in the company no one understands English, then it is eliminate by itself. This is a very controversial moment, but let’s just say that it all depends on the specialty.
Do not make resume big: the time spent with your resume should be no more than 2-3 minutes – this is the maximum! If this is a presentation, then limit it to 10-13 slides. Get down to business right away: people who have opened your resume are usually already aware that you are looking for work.